TUTTLEMAN – NOT QUITE A PLACE TO STUDY

When planning for the Edna & Stan Tuttleman Learning Center began in 1991, and groundbreaking in April, 1996, I do not think Edna S. and her husband Stanley Tuttleman had this in mind when it

When planning for the Edna & Stan Tuttleman Learning Center began in 1991, and groundbreaking in April, 1996, I do not think Edna S. and her husband Stanley Tuttleman had this in mind when it officially opened Fall of 1999: to socialize.

Its purpose primarily serves as an outlet where students can study and complete their academic work. However, some students see it as a social club or a playground.
This is what Tuttleman has become. Instead of Tuttleman Learning Center, it has become the new SAC.
(Tuttleman Activites Center)

“It’s (Tuttleman) here for a place where students can learn, but people still go to Paley, because it’s hard to concentrate with so much noise,” said junior Allan Noelcin, double majoring in MIS and Finance.

Granted, with SAC closing for the spring semester, a huge dimension was lost to students. Due to the construction, commuters lost their full ability to interact with fellow classmates and relax during a break from classes.

But there are still those who choose to disrespect others who use Tuttleman for what it’s supposed to be for: educational purposes.

“I know certain people who are there for no reason, hanging out, because they know they’ll see someone they know, particularly between the hours of 11:40 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.,” said Marissa Mack, a junior Marketing major.

For instance, there’s a huge sign in the computer lab, which states: “Attention! Additionally, food, drink, and the use of cell phones are PROHIBITED in ALL Temple University labs. If you are discovered to be violating any of these regulations, you will be asked to leave the lab immediately.”

How many times have you heard the loud cell phone of another student? What’s worse are some rings have musical tunes included and as so-called “adults,” they insist on allowing them to ring continuously.

Eating in Tuttleman is another plague. How many times have you walked by or sat at a computer and seen candy wrappers, soda bottles, coffee cups and paper lying there? Apparently some students have displaced what their parents taught them at home, which is to throw garbage away once you’re finished.

Employees, as well as students, should be held accountable for adding to the “social” atmosphere of Tuttleman. I’ve observed lab assistants either conversing with fellow students, allowing them to sit on the desks and talk loudly.

If I’m not mistaken, their jobs are to help people who need assistance with computers, have printing problems and checking out and returning literature. They’re also supposed to enforce the rules of no cell phone use and eating, not add fuel to the fire by chatting with others and forgetting about what you’re paid to do.

Here are some solutions to help eliminate these problems.

Tuttleman has another place for students to relax and socialize. The lower level has a Fresh Bytes café with toss-to-order salads and specialty sandwiches, providing appropriate café seating to eat and have a good time with your colleagues.

Another viable option is to hire people who understand why Tuttleman Learning Center is here — to learn and assist others in completing their academic work and in addition, take the initiative to reinforce rules of no cell phone use or drinking and eating in the labs.

Hey, for those who choose to “stick” it out with the nonsense, it won’t be too far away until SAC is completed next semester where you’re supposed to eat and socialize. In the meantime, don’t disturb others who are serious about school and use Tuttleman for academia.