Tyler students’ new focus

Oculus Photo Folio, the traveling exhibition of graduate student photography, kicks off its run locally with an opening reception and panel discussion at the Temple Gallery tomorrow. The exhibit is designed to create a nationwide

Oculus Photo Folio, the traveling exhibition of graduate student photography, kicks off its run locally with an opening reception and panel discussion at the Temple Gallery tomorrow.

The exhibit is designed to create a nationwide community amongst emerging photographic artists.

Each artist comes from a different section of the country to collectively unite the community.

Oculus Photographic Arts Group is an association of graduate students in the photography program at the Tyler School of Art. They created the exhibition concept to fill the void of dialogue amongst photo artists.

The photographers bring elements of their own experiences into their artwork, adding to its diversity.

After spending several years in Las Vegas, Mary Rhodomoyer, a native Philadelphian, is concentrating her work on the human condition.

Bill Davis comes to Temple from Cincinnati by way of Prague. After focusing his energy on the neglected history of the Czech republic, Bill is now focused on the creation and sustaining of life.

Christine Carr received her undergraduate degree in Washington, D.C. Her work tries to separate reality and unreality, often through the use of flashlight lighting.

Margaret Adams, another student from Washington, D.C., has used prosthetic limbs as her subjects. She is currently focusing her work on other alternative processes.

After completing her undergraduate in Massachusetts, Sara Bacon used photography to juxtapose human form and architecture while mixing digital and traditional photography techniques.

Los Angeles native January Parkos studied in Chicago, where she focused her photography on art works like weaving and knitting. She is currently working on two-dimensionality and the uses of photographic media.

These six graduate students completed part one of the Photo Folio exhibition last fall by creating a set of cards that holds a photographic image and the artist’s statement.

This October marks the beginning of part two, which includes a traveling exhibition of the work showcased on the cards.

A gallery talk and reception will be held Oct. 11 at 3 p.m. in the Temple Gallery, 45 N. 2nd St., is open Wednesday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. The exhibition runs through Oct. 25.

Pooja Shah can be reached at pshah004@temple.edu.