UDC extends jurisdiction to surrounding community

Changes are abundant this semester at Temple as the University Disciplinary Committee has introduced an updated Code of Conduct. Effective immediately, it toughens penalties for alcohol and drug violations and appoints a 500-yard radius around

Changes are abundant this semester at Temple as the University Disciplinary Committee has introduced an updated Code of Conduct. Effective immediately, it toughens penalties for alcohol and drug violations and appoints a 500-yard radius around campus as being susceptible to penalization for disorderly conduct.<!—

The new area of jurisdiction includes various off-campus student apartments and fraternity houses.
Brian Swope/Temple News</font

—>
Disorderly conduct, while not elaborately defined in the official Code of Conduct that was distributed to Temple students, can be viewed as “any type of action that would cause open disturbance on campus,” said University Code Vice Administrator Andrea Caporale.

“I think the new policy is good,” Caporale said. “Temple works closely with the community, and this gives students a better sense of that. It shows that we deal with issues and expect students to carry themselves respectfully.”

Concerning disorderly conduct violations, various steps must be taken before a student is penalized under the code. If an event occurs, an incident report is sent to the University Disciplinary Committee with a description of the disturbance. Then, during a “Pre-Hearing Conference,” students have the opportunity to accept or deny the charges before them.

“If students who live off campus have to experience the policy rules, then it would be fair for them to receive some benefits like students who live on campus.”
 —Steve Vesotsky
    President, Sigma Phi
    Epsilon

If the student in question admits to the charges, an administrative hearing takes place and penalties are decided upon.

Students can, however, dispute the accusations. In such a case a UDC hearing panel is created, consisting of the chairperson and vice chairperson, two faculty members, and two students. Conclusively, students are either sanctioned or relieved of the allegation.

Students living in residential areas close to campus regard the updated code with mixed emotions.

“I don’t completely disagree with the new policy,” said President of Sigma Phi Epsilon Steve Vesotsky. “However, if individuals in private residences are subject to regulations of the University, then Temple should consider that when giving out financial aid packages for housing. If students who live off campus have to experience the policy rules, then it would be fair for them to receive some benefits like students who live on campus.”

Also part of the updated Code of Conduct is a “parental notification program” designed to deal with alcohol abuse and underage drinking.

The second time a student is caught abusing drug and alcohol laws, a letter is sent to his/her parents.

Caporale points out that many colleges have adopted such a policy, and that the committee reviews various procedural options every other year.

“I don’t think that calling parents is much of a threat,” said Emily Hackman, a sophomore with an undeclared major. “College students are more independent, and therefore calling parents is a pretty juvenile approach to the issue.”

The Vice President of Student Affairs, Valaida S. Walker, stated that 99.5 percent of students conduct themselves “in ways that are in concert with these expectations.”

“This [penalty] isn’t unfair,” said Bethany O’Conner, a sophomore broadcast journalism major. “People under 21 aren’t allowed to drink, and the University can be held accountable for the disturbances they can create while under the influence.”

While there are mixed feelings about the new Code of Conduct, its rules are the law for Temple campus life. Students with questions about the new policies are encouraged to contact the Student Assistance Center.