Under The Radar

Expand your musical horizons this week, and check out some up-and-coming bands when they visit Philadelphia.

SATURDAY, May 2

Tera Melos
Danger Danger Gallery
5013 Baltimore Ave.
9 p.m., e-mail for more info
dangerdangergallery@gmail.com
www.myspace.com/dangerdangergallery

Tera Melos is a “jagged mathcore” metal trio from Roseville, Calif. Members Nick Reinhart, Nathan Latona and John Clardy use experimental rock, ambient electronics and unconventional song structure to create their exclusive sounds. The trio is currently promoting its latest effort, Idioms Vol. 1, which you can download and listen to for free at teramelosmusic.com.

SUNDAY, May 3

The Greencards
World Café Live
3025 Walnut St.
8 p.m., $15 in advance,
$18 day of show
215-222-1400
www.worldcafelive.com

Singer and bassist Carol Young, mandolinist Kym Warner and fiddler Eamon McLaughlin make up the Austin-formed, Nashville-based band the Greencards. Its sound is described as a blend of country, Americana, blues and bluegrass. The band has already toured with Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson, earned an American Music Award in 2006 for best new band and performed at the SXSW Festival in Austin in March. The Greencards recently released its fourth album, Fascination, and can be seen in concert in venues across the country now through November.

MONDAY, May 4

Loney, Dear
Kung Fu Necktie
1248 N. Front St.
8 p.m., $10, 21 with ID
215-291-4919
www.kungfunecktie.com

Loney, Dear (not Lonely, Dear, as it is often called), a Swedish indie-pop band, is currently promoting its newest album, Dear John. The band has been the most successful of Sub Pop Records’ artists since the late 1980s when it signed grunge artists like Nirvana. Its “wistfully electronic pop ” sound has been often compared to Seattle band the Postal Service and Montreal-based band Arcade Fire, but the band has been recognized in Europe for its unique style. Visit loneydear.com, and check out its MySpace page, myspace.com/loneydear, for more information.

Sherri Hospedales can be reached at sherri.hospedales@temple.edu.