Under the Radar

Expand your horizons this weekend, and check out these three upcoming events in Philadelphia.

Thursday, May 6

Bistro La Minette
623 S. Sixth St.
215-925-8000
http//:www.bistrotlaminette.com/index.php/special-events/107-dinner-and-a-movie-summer-2010
8:30 p.m.

If you need a chill night out after studying for finals, head just south of South Street to Bistrot La Minette at Sixth and Kater streets. While hipsters are chugging PBR, you can enjoy some French cuisine and a flick to match at Philadelphia Magazine’s Best Outdoor Dining Spot of 2009. This week’s film is Molière, a mostly-fictional tale that follows the playwright Jean Baptiste Poquelin after he’s released from prison in exchange for acting lessons. It’s best to call ahead and reserve outdoor seating if this is a drama you don’t want to miss. Check out their website for a list of the rest of the French films they’ll be showing this summer.

Wednesday, May 5

Lickety Split
401 South St.
215-413-3434
myspace.com/licketysplitphilly
8 p.m.

At the corner of Fourth and South streets, Lickety Split Lounge is known for its giant slices and $3 Jameson shots. Check out the upstairs and you may be surprised to find a cramped concert space surrounding the bar. If you’re in the mood for some chill tunes, take your pizza upstairs, grab a beer at the bar and sit back and enjoy The Levee Drivers, a Johnny Cash-esque four-piece band headed by vocalist August Lutz. Joining them is Mat Burke, a Scranton-native whose folk sound led him to Nashville to record his first EP, Kill or Be Killed. He said he is be most influenced by Bob Dylan and it certainly shows in his folk-rock sound. Check it out if you’re in the mood for a show.

Friday, May 7 and Saturday, May 8

Suzanne Roberts Theatre
480 S. Broad St.
215-985-0420
rebeccadavisdance.com
$20 for students
8 p.m.

Two great things- literature and dance- are combined in this two-day only event created by Rebecca Davis Dance Company, which was founded by the namesake, a Temple Alumna. Titled Braving the New World, the performers express the feelings of confusion and frustration at a fictional world controlled by Big Brother, reminiscent of the works of George Orwell and Aldous Huxley. Individuality is at stake.

“There is only one individual that emerges from the mass population, one person who fights against the establishment and the pressures of conformity,” Artistic Director and Choreographer Davis said in a press release.

If ballet and fiction are your cup of tea, definitely check this out.

Rebecca Bleznak can be reached at rebecca.bleznak@temple.edu.