Under the Radar

Philadelphia’s always more fun when it’s cheap. Enjoy the museum, the theater and dance performances – all for $5 or less.

WEDNESDAY, April 1
Gallery Talk

Imagination and Transformation in the Works of Maurice Sendak

Rosenbach Museum & Library
2008-2010 DeLancey Place

6 p.m., free with $5 student museum admission and RSVP to fdawson@rosenbach.org
215-732-1600
www.rosenbach.org

The Rosenbach is calling all Maurice Sendak fans to join the next gallery talk discussion, exploring the ways in which Sendak’s characters and stories undergo transformations. Sendak, author of children’s favorites Where the Wild Things Are and Outside Over There, excites his readers with his illustrations and his surprising connections to his characters. The gallery talk is held in conjunction with the ongoing exhibit “There’s A Mystery Over There: Sendak on Sendak” – the largest exhibit of Sendak’s works, ending May 3.

SATURDAY, April 4
The Big Reveal

Arts Bank at the University of the Arts
601 S. Broad St.
(Broad & South streets)
7 p.m., free admission with RSVP to robin@livearts-fringe.org
215-544-9195
www.headlong.org

Join the three co-directors of Headlong Dance Theater as they reveal their top-secret dance creations inspired by moderator and dancer Tere O’Connor. Using the same six dancers, the three co-directors will work separately for the first time in 15 years. Ideas from each performance will be taken to create a fourth work, which will premiere at the 2009 Philadelphia Live Arts Festival and Philly Fringe in September.

MONDAY, April 6
Christiny Martin

Play Development Series
The Wilma Theater
265 S. Broad St.
7 p.m., free

215-546-7824
www.wilmatheater.org

In collaboration with the Wilma Theater, Philadelphia Young Playwrights presents a free staged reading by Christiny Martin, an 11th grade student at Masterman High School. Her play tells the story of a young white civil rights lawyer, as he defends an African-American girl charged with murder during the 1970s in the Deep South. Martin found inspiration for her play through her studies of the civil rights movement in her 10th grade social studies class and began to develop the play last year as a part of the PYP’s summer Advanced Playwrighting Group. PYP works to promote literacy through playwrighting to students in the School District of Philadelphia and frequently works with professional theater companies in the city.

Sherri Hospedales can be reached at sherri.hospedales@temple.edu .