VDAY brings “Vagina Monologues” to TU

There will be significantly more vagina on campus this week. Temple was chosen to be one of the 680 colleges and universities to produce “The Vagina Monologues,” a compilation of vagina anecdotes collected by Eve

There will be significantly more vagina on campus this week.

Temple was chosen to be one of the 680 colleges and universities to produce “The Vagina Monologues,” a compilation of vagina anecdotes collected by Eve Ensler through interviews with over 200 women.

These stories focus on issues ranging from descriptions of violence and abuse endured by women to descriptions of what a vagina would wear if it wore clothes.

Originally an off-Broadway show, the performance has evolved into a worldwide movement to end violence against women.

The international effort is coordinated by the VDAY organization, which stands for Victory, Valentine and Vagina.

This enables widespread participation intended to increase the level of awareness of the violence against women and children.

“Basically the whole model of VDAY is ‘until the violence stops,” said freshman Lauren Overton, who will perform in Temple’s show.

“We’re doing this so people can be aware of issues that arise with women.”

Proceeds from the productions go to fund anti-violence groups both on a local and international scale.

The proceeds from Temple’s performance will benefit the Temple University Sexual Assault Counseling and Education program and the Philadelphia Bilingual Domestic Abuse Program.

The Native American/Alaskan Native Women’s Project will also receive proceeds.

Ensler’s “The Crooked Braid,” which describes women’s abuse from a Native American perspective, will debut this year.

Advertisements to promote the performance displayed the word “vagina” on a bright orange poster, but had to be removed from campus areas after students issued complaints of feeling uncomfortable.

The title itself, “The Vagina Monologues,” could be intimidating to those who are unfamiliar with the project, but Overton encourages attendance.

“It’s important to say that the women the monologues are based on are not angry or depressed women,” said Overton.

“They’re women telling their stories. They’re not raging angry feminist bitches, and the actors and actresses are not acting for the sense of acting, but to tell the stories.”

Overton will perform the Hair Monologue.

“My monologue is about a married couple where the man wanted the woman to shave her vagina,” she said.

“She felt violated and childish doing it, and realizes at the end that hair is like the yard around a house or leaf around a flower. To love a vagina you have to love hair.”

Overton is joined by Temple undergrad and graduate students as well as faculty members, representing a variety of different ethnic backgrounds, sexual orientations and genders.

This year’s performance will also feature a monologue written and performed by male students with the theme “Envision the World Without Violence.”

Performance dates are Thu. and Fri., Feb. 20 and 21 at 7:30 p.m. in Anderson Hall.

Tickets can be purchased at Sullivan Hall, lower level, and at the Tuttleman Counseling Center for $10 with a student ID and $15 without.

Nadia Stadnycki can be reached at nadias@temple.edu.