Volleyball drops season finale

The Owls finished the season with a 9-9 conference record.

Temple wrapped up its season with a home loss to Central Florida, as the Knights swept the Owls 3-0 on Friday night.

UCF won by scores of 25-12, 25-20 and 25-22. For seniors Elyse Burkert, Gabriella Matautia and Emily Carlin the match was the final one of their collegiate careers.

The first set was led by UCF’s Angelica Crump and DeLaina Sarden, as the duo combined for nine kills.

The second set was closer, with eight ties and three lead changes. But after the set was tied at 12, the Knights reclaimed the lead for good.

Burkert and Matautia made the third set interesting, as both had kills that fought off match points. But it wasn’t enough, as UCF eventually pulled away and clinched the sweep.

The Owls finished with an 18-12 overall record, and a 9-9 record in conference play. Temple,  once in contention for the runner-up slot in the American Athletic Conference, finished in sixth place.

Coach Bakeer Ganes complimented all three seniors, including Carlin who was with the team for only this season as a transfer.

“It’s going to be really tough to replace all three of them, but especially Elyse and Gabby because they have been with this program for four years, to replace what they did on the court, and also off the court,” Ganes said.

Matautia, who finished the season with a team-high 377 kills, said she will miss the team.

“I’m not sure how I feel,” Matautia said. “It’s kind of sad to think about it being my last game. I am going to miss the program, and I’m really glad it’s in Bake’s hands. He’s still got so much room to grow, and I’ll be happy to watch and support this program, and I’m thankful for everything this school and this program has given to me.”

Avery Maehrer and Don McDermott can be reached at sports@temple-news.com.