Weekend road trip results in losses

The Owls lost games against Virginia Tech and Georgetown.

Temple (8-5-4) lost both games on its road trip this weekend, losing first on Saturday night to Virginia Tech in a overtime battle 7-6, and then to Georgetown 3-2 in a Sunday afternoon contest.

“There are no excuses for this weekend,” senior forward Joe Pisko said. “Both games should’ve been won hands down. We’re lacking a complete effort from the entire team each night.”

Saturday night’s game started out looking promising for the Owls with senior forward Joe Pisko scoring less than a minute into the opening period.

Following a Virginia Tech goal, Pisko tallied his second of the night to give Temple a 2-1 lead going into the second period.

“The two goals don’t mean much if a win does not follow,” Pisko said.

The second period started just as well as the first for Temple, as sophomore forward Cody Vassa scored less than two minutes into the second period.

Virginia Tech battled back though and scored two unanswered goals of their own to tie the game up at three. Until junior forward Stephen Kennedy scored with 8:55 left in the second to retake the lead for the Owls.

Kennedy’s goal was followed by a goal from his former line-mate, junior forward Brady O’Donnell, who snuck a shot past the Virginia Tech goaltender to give the Owls a two goal lead with 3:40 left in the second.

Less than a minute later he scored again to give the Owls a 6-3 lead heading into the third period.

The third period is when Temple collapsed.

The Owls gave up three unanswered goals in the third, the tying goal coming on a Virginia Tech power play with 3:11 left in the game.

The Hokies carried that momentum into overtime and scored the game winner, ending in the 7-6 overtime loss for the Owls.

“The loss was unacceptable,” Pisko said. “You cannot blow a three-goal lead in the third period at any level. It all relates back to discipline and beating ourselves.”

The Owls failed to rebound on its game against Georgetown on Sunday.

Both teams started off the game even until the Hoyas netted the game’s first goal with 2:08 left in the first.

A little over a minute later, Georgetown struck again and took a 2-0 lead going into the second period.

With 7:48 left to play in the second period the Hoyas again scored to take a three goal lead.

Georgetown’s three-goal lead was too much for the Owls to overcome. Despite scoring two goals to come within one to tie it up, and having a power play in the last minute of the game, Temple was unable to score the equalizing goal and fell to Georgetown 3-2.

After dropping both games, Pisko said that a more complete team effort is needed to win games.

“A handful of guys showing up is not going to win us games against these better teams,” Pisko said. “Adjustments need to be made on and off the ice.”

The Owls have the next week off for Thanksgiving break, they will look to get back on the winning track home against Kutztown on Dec. 6 at 9:20 p.m.

Samuel Matthews can be reached at samuel.matthews@temple.edu or on Twitter @SJMatthews13.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.