West Philadelphia: Not So Bad

When the housing gets tough, the tough get housing, even if it is as far as 60 blocks away from Main campus. With its colossal houses, cheap rent and University City at its center, West

When the housing gets tough, the tough get housing, even if it is as far as 60 blocks away from Main campus. With its colossal houses, cheap rent and University City at its center, West Philadelphia is not such a bad spot for Temple students who don’t mind the commute. West Philly resident, junior Dave Keevill, said that West Philly has its pros and cons.

Keevill and his four roommates share a roomy five-story, eight-bedroom house with a porch that serves as a spot for anything from enjoying the weather to drinking beer. A house in his area has several bonuses, Keevill said.

“I like the giant house and the area,” Keevill said. “The area is definitely more open than other places in the city.”

Their house is surrounded by trees and fresh grass, which Keevill said other parts of the city lack. The neighborhood provides a place for outdoorsy stuff like bike riding and walks, according to Keevill. And, not to mention, drinking beer. Keevill said his five story house was a great place for parties last summer.

“In the summer, the neighborhood has a great atmosphere,” he said. “With the size of the house, we can easily fit over one hundred people in here. It got pretty rowdy at times.”

The rent isn’t so bad either. At $2200 a month, each roommate pitches in $450, which is much cheaper than living in a dorm.

Keevill said the neighborhood is definitely a spot for students.

“There are students everywhere,” Keevill said. “They live all around, across the street, up the street, down the street. Most of them go to Penn.”

Keevill’s apartment is also on the edge of University City, which isn’t a bad place for those who are looking to shop, eat, see a movie or drink in an upbeat atmosphere (at slightly inflated prices).

Temple junior Kate Beele particularly enjoyed The Bridge: Cinema de Lux, a West Philly movie theater.

“The movie theater there is really nice. You can get anything you want from a beer to a good scoop of ice cream and bring it in to the movie with you,” Beele said. “Unfortunately, movie tickets are like $10.”

Although Keevill’s house is spacious, cheap and right on the edge of University City, Keevil complained about the commute to and from campus. Eleven subway stops and one transfer away, West Philadelphia is not only far, Keevill said, but also quite expensive.

“I drive, which takes between 15 and 30 minutes depending on traffic. With gas being so expensive, it definitely costs a lot,” he said. “You can always take the subway, but even then you have to take the Market line and transfer to Broad Street, which takes 20 to 30 minutes, and obviously, a subway token.”

Although Keevill said his house has been fun, it’s up for rent next year. Hopefully its next Temple resident will bring a bike along for the commute.

Jillian Bauer can be reached at jilleeun@temple.edu.