Women’s soccer fades in 3-1 loss to the Siena Saints

The Owls prepare to regroup before conference debut. Although junior midfielder Kate Yurkovic scored a goal that tied the game for much of the second half, the Owls (3-6) were defeated by Siena, 3-1, last

womenssoccer_sports_sept27_abireimold_07
ABI REIMOLD TTN Freshman forward (right) Jean Scanlan presses a Siena defender during the Owls’ 3-1 loss.

The Owls prepare to regroup before conference debut.

Although junior midfielder Kate Yurkovic scored a goal that tied the game for much of the second half, the Owls (3-6) were defeated by Siena, 3-1, last Sunday at Ambler when the Saints scored twice within the last 15 minutes.

“Soccer’s a cruel game, it’s been cruel quite a bit to us this year,” coach Matt Gwilliam said.

Pre-conference games have not gone the Owls’ way so far this season, especially on their recent road trip where the team went 0-5.

“We were playing in some tough conditions: whether it was heat or rain or cold, we saw it all on the trip, and we weren’t up to par,” Gwilliam added. “But we’ve learned from it.”

Despite Sunday’s defeat, the coach was pleased with the team’s performance.

“We were extremely organized,” Gwilliam said. “I commend their effort, we were the most organized, We’ve been all year.”

During the scoring possession for the Cherry and White, junior defender Casey Greco lifted the ball from the corner to an area where Yurkovic could drill a header into the net to give the Owls a 1-1 tie at 54th minute.

“We’re good in the air and we’re good at crossing, so that’s what we need to win games,” Yurkovic said.

The Owls got close to scoring at other moments in the game, as the Owls held a 9-6 shots on goal advantage in the second half.  Sophomore defender Karly O’Toole hit the crossbar off a free kick penalty shot at the 83rd minute of play.

The team is planning to get more organized as they prepare for their first Atlantic Ten Conference game, taking place on Friday against La Salle. During practice this week, the Owls plan to watch video of their games and focus on defense.

“We’re excited,” Yurkovic said when asked about this coming Friday’s game. “Hopefully we can turn it around for the Atlantic Ten Conference.”

The Owls expect Friday’s game to be rough.

“It’s going to be chippy, it’s going to be hard,” Gwilliam said. “but it’s going to be so enjoyable. Those are the games you want to play in.”

The game against La Salle starts at 7 p.m. at McCarthy Stadium.

Abi Reimold can be reached at abigail.reimold@temple.edu.