Women’s soccer wins first conference match against Houston

After losing to Southern Methodist, 2-0, on Thursday, Temple won its first conference game against the University of Houston in overtime on Sunday.

Freshman forward Gabriella Johnson (left) practices against at fellow teammate at the Temple Sports Complex on Sept. 13. | SAGE HURLEY / THE TEMPLE NEWS

Temple (5-6, 1-1 American Athletic Conference) bounced back after a loss on Thursday to beat the University of Houston (5-6-1, 1-1 The American), 3-2, in overtime on Sunday.

Despite allowing a goal from Cougars’ junior forward Desiree Bowen in the fourth minute, the Owls responded with goals from freshman forward Gabriela Johnson in the 35th minute and junior forward Morgan Morocco in the 56th minute.

“I was beyond impressed with how they responded,” coach Seamus O’Connor said. “I thought they were very mature. There was lots of time to go. We didn’t change the game plan and the girls listened to us. They didn’t panic.”

However, the Cougars responded with another goal from Bowen in the 71st minute to tie the game and send it into overtime.

Johnson found the net for her second goal of the game just five minutes into the overtime period to give the Owls the victory.

“They played very well [the second game],” O’Connor said. “It was a very good response. We were very disappointed Thursday night. They responded with a lot of anger and dedication. We knew it was a must-win game.”

Rain and lightning delayed Temple’s game against Southern Methodist University for 90 minutes on Thursday.

Light rain in the first half caused wet field conditions and both teams returned scoreless to the locker rooms, which is unusual for Southern Methodist. In four of their matches this season, Southern Methodist scored at least two goals within the first 30 minutes of play.

“Usually, with most teams [Southern Methodist] plays, it’s over inside the first 30 minutes,” O’Connor said.

However, Temple could not shut out the Mustangs (6-2-1, 1-0 The American) in the second half. The Mustangs scored twice in the last 45 minutes to win 2-0 in the Owls’ first game of conference play.

“The hour-and-a-half rain delay can upset a lot of players,” O’Connor said. “When we came out, we put [Southern Methodist] under pressure almost immediately. … We just made a poor mistake and they capitalized on it. That kind of changed the game. We just couldn’t manufacture any real quality shots on goal.”

The Mustangs finally got on the scoreboard in the 59th minute with a goal from freshman midfielder Celiana Torres. Torres now has four goals this season.

Mustangs’ junior forward Allie Thornton added an insurance goal in the 75th minute to increase the Mustangs’ lead to two.

The Owls will return home to play Central Florida on Thursday at the Temple Sports Complex. The Owls haven’t played at home since Sept. 2.

Temple University’s women’s soccer concluded its six-game road trip by splitting two games in Texas.