B.A. Major Requirements
Twelve courses are required for the major.
* One-three lower level courses (choose from the following courses):
A maximum of three of these courses may count towards the major.
WS C051 or X051 Introduction to Women’s Studies 3 s.h.
WS C065 Gender and History 3 s.h.
WS C076 American Women’s Lives 3 s.h.
WS C080 International Women’s Writing 3 s.h.
WS C081 or X081 Men and Women in American Society 3 s.h.
* WS 0100 Essential Issues in Women’s Studies 3 s.h.
* Six-eight upper level courses – Among those courses, majors must take two designated upper level courses designed for students to learn how to write a research paper. Majors will also be permitted to take two of these six-eight courses outside Women’s Studies (courses that are not cross listed) with permission of the advising coordinator.
* The final requirement is a two-course sequence.
This sequence should be taken during the major’s last three semesters of enrollment. Students will select a field assignment with the assistance of the advising coordinator.
WS 0299 Field Work 3 s.h.
WS W300 Research Seminar 3 s.h.
Seven course are required for the minor.
* WS 0100 Essentials in Women’s Studies 3 s.h.
* 6 courses at least 3 of which are at the upper level.
Certificate of Specialization
Designed for students outside the College of Liberal Arts who want to pursue a Women’s Studies oriented career. Requirements for the certificate are:
* WS X051 Introduction to Women’s Studies 3 s.h.
* WS0299 Field Work 3 s.h.
* Two electives in Women’s Studies, with at least one at or above the 100 level.
Distinction in Major
Women’s Studies students may graduate with a distinction in the major if they have a GPA of 3.5 or better in the major, a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better, and successfully complete an honors thesis (minimum 3 credits) under the supervision of a faculty member from Women’s Studies.