Women’s team defeats Lehigh in Nussaume’s return

Anais Nussaume was back in the lineup for Temple in its win at Lehigh.

Anais Nussaume was out almost one full month, as her last match was against Farleigh Dickinson on Feb. 16.  After recovering from a stomach bug, Nussaume returned to the lineup as Temple posted a 6-1 victory Tuesday against Lehigh.

“It was nice to see her playing and we wanted to kind of work her back into the lineup slowly,” coach Steve Mauro said.

Nussaume played further down in the lineup than usual, securing a 6-0 win for one of the Owls’ six points in the victory. Mauro said he felt the victory helped the team’s morale.

“It was nice to get back on track, we played indoors which is something we’re accustomed to,” Mauro said.

Temple entered the match on a three-match losing streak, having lost six of its last seven matches.  The win improved Temple’s record to 4-7 for the spring.

Mauro said he believed that playing an opponent a little bit closer to home also helped his team ease into the match and coast to victory, which was helpful coming off a tough road trip losing two conference matches in Texas to Southern Methodist and Houston.

“It was closer to home, it’s not that far, so we were confident going into the match,” Mauro said.

The Owls will look to keep their confidence level high as they head into Friday’s match against Binghamton.

Greg Frank can be reached at greg.frank@temple.edu and on Twitter @g_frank6.