Women’s tennis concludes season after loss

Loss to No. 38 VCU ends season in second round of A-10 tournament.

The women’s tennis team ended its season on Friday morning, falling to top-seeded VCU 4-0 in the second round of the Atlantic 10 Conference Tournament.

The Owls finish the season at 10-14 (4-7 A-10). 38th-ranked VCU (20-4, 3-0 A-10) won its eleventh straight match.

“I think we did well overall,” coach Steve Mauro said. “The match was closer than the score indicated. The top three flights were close matches.”

Only three singles matches were completed. Sophomore Rebecca Breland fell 6-1, 6-3 in the fourth flight to junior Olga Terteac. In flight five, sophomore Ama Osei dropped a 6-3, 6-0 decision to freshman Olga Barscheheuskaya. Freshman Minami Okajima lost in the sixth flight to freshman Karina Alesha 6-3, 6-1.

Junior Alicia Doms lost the first set of her top-flight match versus sophomore Cindy Chala 6-0, but was leading the second set 4-3 when it was halted. In flight two, junior Jordan Batey was losing 6-4, 3-2 to freshman Yukako Noi. Junior Yana Mavrina was down 6-3, 3-1 to senior Josefin Hjertquist when the match was halted.

In first flight doubles, Doms and Batey fell 8-2 to Barscheheuskaya and Noi. In flight two, Okajima and Osei lost 8-3 to Hjertquist and Chala. Mavrina and Breland got Temple’s only win of the day, topping Terteac and Alesha 8-5 in the third flight.

“I think it was a winnable match,” Mauro said. “The girls were confident going in.”

Temple’s 2013-14 schedule has not yet been released.

Evan Cross can be reached at evan.cross@temple.edu or on Twitter @EvanCross.