Women’s tennis drops match to Syracuse

Owls lose top two flights to Orange.

The women’s tennis team lost its penultimate match of the season, falling 5-2 to Syracuse Saturday afternoon at the TU Pavilion.

The Owls (8-13, 3-6 Atlantic 10 Conference) broke a three-match win streak with the loss. The Orange (11-7, 7-1 Big East Conference) ended their season winning seven of their last eight matches.

“We had a good chance to win,” coach Steve Mauro said. “It didn’t go our way, but overall I’m optimistic about our chances in the A-10 [tournament].”

In the top singles flight, junior Alicia Doms lost 6-4, 6-4 to sophomore Amanda Rodgers. Junior Yana Mavrina fell to junior Maddie Kobelt 6-2, 4-6, 6-1 in the second flight..

Junior Jordan Batey defeated sophomore Komal Safdar 6-2, 6-1 in flight three. In the fourth flight, sophomore Rebecca Breland topped sophomore Jimena Wu 6-2, 6-2.

“I think I played pretty well,” Breland said. “I stayed consistent and kept the ball in, and played my game.”

In flight five, freshman Minami Okajima lost 6-1, 6-3 to freshman Brittany Lashway. Junior Carly Bohman fell to freshman Alex Aiello 6-2, 6-1 in the sixth flight.

In doubles, Breland and Mavrina fell 8-5 to Kobelt and Lashway in flight one. In the second flight, Batey and Doms lost to Rodgers and Safdar 8-6. The third flight match, pitting Bohman and Okajima against Wu and freshman Sophia Dzulynsky, was ended with the Syracuse tandem up 7-5.

“Doubles was real close,” Mauro said. “I think that would have been the difference, because anytime you win the doubles point it gives you a lot of momentum going into singles.”

The Owls will wrap up the regular season Sunday at 1 p.m. at home against Binghamton.

Evan Cross can be reached at evan.cross@temple.edu or on Twitter @EvanCross.