People you should KNOW

The Temple News: What inspires your work as an artist? Petros Pappalas: Well, basically, I have this intensity of feeling toward life and specifically my relationships with people, and I guess we can even call

quentinwilliams_pyskbw
QUENTIN WILLIAMS TTN PETROS PAPPALAS, Temple alumnus, started at Temple as an undeclared student who dabbled in architecture and psychology courses and wanted to eventually go to medical school. After a couple years, Pappalas returned to his childhood passions of painting and sketching. Pappalas moved several times upon graduation in Februrary 2009 before moving into his grandfather’s co-op in Brooklyn. The Philadelphia art community has since embraced this fresh new face, and he recently held a solo gallery showing in the city. The Temple News talked with Pappalas to uncover what motivates and inspires him.

The Temple News: What inspires your work as an artist?
Petros Pappalas: Well, basically, I have this intensity of feeling toward life and specifically my relationships with people, and I guess we can even call that a sensitivity. So basically, when I paint, it is a manifestation of those feelings, which are not only exciting but revealing to me when I create it. So I guess painting, in a sense, gives me answers and even gives me the opportunity to experience myself and what I feel in a very real, visual and physical way.

TTN: What do you want to communicate to the world through your art?
PP: I’m not really at that level yet. Right now, I’m not as concerned with how people see my art. I more so concerned with finding the answers that I am looking for, so that when I do get to that point, when I can be concerned with conveying a message, I will be able to convey that message as clearly as possible.
But right now, my mission statement, so to speak, is to just paint and … to paint as authentically as possible. And basically what I mean by that is I want the expressions in my paintings to be a very clear, almost mirror reflection of life … not the ideal version, not the degraded version but the very honest version of life.

TTN: What answers are you looking for?
PP: At the surface level, I am looking for the answers for how to create a good painting. It’s kind of like shooting an arrow. Right now I don’t really feel like I am hitting the bull’s-eye. I get close at times, but [I’ll] know when I hit the bull’s-eye because I’ll feel it. I feel it would be appropriate for me to kind of establish my voice, but right now, I guess you could say that I am just training myself.

TTN: How do you maintain balance in your own life?
PP: I try to start my day off with prayer and meditation every day. That is a very important part. I want to condition myself to have a mind of steel, so that I can deal when things are penetrating my heart. I realize now that I’ll never be able to stop that, and I don’t want to. I don’t want to become calloused so it’s important for me to maintain a strong mind in a disciplined manner so that when things are hurting inside, it doesn’t hurt my performance, so that I can turn it around and actually use it. It’s basically maintaining a faith.

Quentin Williams can be reached at quentin@temple.edu.