Addazio brings ‘good news’ at Temple Football Media Day

Coach Steve Addazio expressed his excitement, as he prepares to begin his first season as the Owls’ head coach during a press conference today for media day at the Edberg-Olson Football Complex. “I’m excited for the start

Coach Steve Addazio fields questions, earlier today, from reporters during Temple Football Media Day at the Edberg-Olson Football Complex. CONNOR SHOWALTER TTN

Coach Steve Addazio expressed his excitement, as he prepares to begin his first season as the Owls’ head coach during a press conference today for media day at the Edberg-Olson Football Complex.

“I’m excited for the start of the season,” Addazio said.  “Sometimes in football you work year-round for (the season) and all of the sudden you’re like, ‘Wow, it’s really here.'”

Today marked the “breakpoint” of training camp, Addazio said.  The practice consisted of drills that reviewed working with a “scout team,” as the team prepares for its first game against Villanova at 7 p.m. on Sept. 1 at the Lincoln Financial Field.

“Now we’re really locked into game week,” Addazio said.  “That’s what we wanted to get done today, is set that stage for that crossover, and I think that happened very effectively.”

Addazio said he will not be ready to announce the starting quarterback until next week.  The position battle is currently between senior Chester Stewart and junior Mike Geradi.

“What we’re looking for right now is that ‘it’ factor, more than that extra completed pass,” Addazio said.  “The good news is, we have talented players.  The good news is, there is a competition.  The good news is, it’s not a one man show and God forbid anything happened to that one guy, you’re kind of out of luck.  We’ll that’s not the case.”