Alumni can come home again

Homecoming has been a Temple tradition for years. Students attend events like Fall Fest, the Homecoming pageant, and a concert to top it off. But with all of the excitement for Homecoming, the Temple Homecoming

Homecoming has been a Temple tradition for years. Students attend events like Fall Fest, the Homecoming pageant, and a concert to top it off. But with all of the excitement for Homecoming, the Temple Homecoming for Alumni is forgotten.

The Temple Homecoming for Alumni is mainly for alumni, but students can attend some of the events by reserving tickets in advance at MyOwlSpace.com. This year’s events include the Gallery of Success Awards Luncheon on Friday, the alumni reunions on Saturday and the Champagne Brunch with the President on Sunday.

The Homecoming football game Saturday when Temple hosts Northern Illinois will be preceded by a tailgate for alumni and students.

“It allows alumni to reconnect with friends in a reception style event, mingle, expand professional their network and meet new people,” said Marena Ariffin, assistant director of alumni relations. “People come from as far as California and the Midwest. They spend time in Philly and enjoy the weekend.”

There is a new event this year, the Homecoming of the Mind series, which consists of two new programs. The first, “50 Years after Sputnik: Science, Technology, and Culture in the U.S.” will be held on Friday. Commander Scott Carpenter, the second American to orbit the earth, will speak about the impact of the Sputnik satellite.

The second, “Eastern State Penitentiary: The Delicate Balance of Prevention and Punishment,” will be held Saturday. Professor Wayne Welsh will discuss challenges facing the criminal justice system, and there will also be a tour of the Eastern State Penitentiary.

This is the second year for Temple reunions. This year the reunions include events for WRTI alumni, Temple Student Government alumni, Temple LGBT alumni and members of the Temple University Black Alumni Alliance. All reunions, except for the TUBAA, are new this year.

“We choose groups on campus that have a really strong membership and would be willing to come back and reconnect,” Ariffin said.

Temple had reunions for Temple Rome, the Honors Program and The Temple News last year.

The Temple University Alumni Association plans most of the events for Homecoming for Alumni, but students also help out through the Student Alumni Association, an organization within the alumni association.

“We’re really hoping that this year is going to be as good as or better than last year,” said Ariffin.

Kamilah A. Guiden can be reached at kamilah.guiden@temple.edu.