Attention Temple News readers

Dear Temple News readers, In the most recent issue of the Temple News, an advertisement pushing the pro-life issue was inserted in the center spread. The Temple News generally denies ads with the political force

Dear Temple News readers,

In the most recent issue of the Temple News, an advertisement pushing the pro-life issue was inserted in the center spread.

The Temple News generally denies ads with the political force and emotion that the pro-life insert holds, but with our methods of placement for inserts, no one at the paper had the chance to review the ad submitted by a major college media advertising firm.

At the Editorial Board meeting Thursday, which was when the staff learned of its content, its placement was discussed, specifically the fact that it shouldn’t have run in the paper.

Advertisement placement policies for inserts are now being changed to prevent the situation from happening in the future. Had the firm tried to place the ad on our pages in print, it would have been denied because we would have received the ad at our office. Inserts are submitted to our printer and we are notified only of its arrival so that we can bill the company. From this point on, the advertising department will review all ads sent to our printer allowing us the opportunity to deny advertising that is deemed not acceptable by Temple News advertising policies.

The Temple News staff apologizes for the placement of this ad. Letters to the editor regarding this ad will not be printed. Problems have arisen in the past with advertising and letters to the editor were not accepted at that time. Letters to the editor are only printed when they are made regarding the editorial content printed in the paper or posted online.

Sincerely,
Brian Swope, Editor-in-Chief, and the Temple News Editorial Board.