Bar ‘crawling’ to the kitchen for late eats

You’ve got to admit that when it comes to having a party, us Irish are in a class of our own. But this Friday is not just about staggering home sloshed, waving a bottle of

You’ve got to admit that when it comes to having a party, us Irish are in a class of our own. But this Friday is not just about staggering home sloshed, waving a bottle of Guinness and trying to convince your date that the mob is following you in a SEPTA bus. What would a great holiday be without food?

If you plan to party all night, there are some rules you need to follow if you want your stomach to back you up on your drinking fest.

Eat foods high in protein before you hit the town running, but don’t chow down food like its going out of style. It’s more important simply to make sure you aren’t chugging on an empty stomach.

Cheese, meat, milk and bread may sound like weird pre-gaming foods, but they slow down alcohol’s absorption in your body, allowing you more time at the counter.

It’s also a great idea to pick at finger foods while you drink. Don’t bust out a spoon and shovel peanuts from that dish down your throat – just imagine the possibly dozens of people before you who licked their fingers after each handful. It’s not a bad thing to be a germaphobe at a bar.

Not that you’re all that picky when your stomach is growling, but bar foods actually extend past wings and fries at many places.

Yum, who doesn’t love to give in to the munchies? See what specialties the bar has to offer. Fado Irish Pub has some Irish American items, like their salty nachos. Who wouldn’t dive into a plate of these, with potato chips, beef, salsa and jack cheese?

If you’re looking for some classier items, stop by the Irish Pub for some crispy crab cakes, shepherd’s pie or even the famed chicken thumbs (they’re awesome).

For some nearby grill food, try Kelliann’s Bar & Grill. Their extensive menu ranges from pesto chicken sandwiches to sliced steak salads, plus a different dinner special every night.

Paul Kelly, bartender at Kelliann’s and head equipment manager for the Temple Owls football team, will add plenty of personality to your evening, so stop in when he’s pouring drinks.

By the way, ask how late the kitchen is open when you stop at a bar, so you aren’t wide-eyed starving at 1 a.m. Bad times.

On a more sobering note, the fact that St. Patrick’s Day is on a Friday scares me. The next day, I have a feeling the streets will be free from people walking, except maybe staggering in the direction of the 7-Eleven.

Here is where things start to plummet downhill. There’s nothing worse than a wide-awake drunk who feels nauseous, so stay away from stomach-irritating caffeine. And no, you aren’t a camel, so keep drinking water throughout the night to help absorb the alcohol.

The next morning, prepare for the ugliness that is bound to occur. Keep drinking water and try to eat somewhat healthy. Avoid that stale bag of Tostitos. Honestly, don’t you think that if there was a magical hangover-curing food out there, someone would’ve found it already? Yeah.

Celebrate your heritage this Friday with some fabulous pub food. Or, if you’re like my Haitian roommate, celebrate mine. Slainte!

Brianna Barry can be reached at bbarry@temple.edu.