Bar Review: The Handle Bar

With the average entrée costing less than 10 smack-a-roos, the Handle Bar offers a wide variety of beer and food that your pockets can afford.

The Handle Bar
1102 Frankford Ave.
Mon – Sun, 11 a.m. – 4 a.m.

www.phillyhandlebar.com

Once the drinks start coming, the ties start getting loose. This chill after-work spot known as The Handle Bar is located off Frankford Avenue. With the average entrée costing less than 10 smack-a-roos, the Handle Bar offers a wide variety of beer and food that your pockets can afford.

The locals say the Handle Bar is known for its great barbecue and picnic food. Grab a grilled chicken sandwich for under $6, or be daring and try the Cajun chicken for a dollar more.

“This is the type of place where union worker dudes go to kick back and have a beer with other union worker dudes while throwing darts,” said one of the Handle Bar’s regular customers. “It’s just a place that lets you leave knowing you had a great time – real drunk, drunk or not.”

It is known to be biker-friendly, but even the locals know it attracts many who just want to see the place – especially when customers from its rival bar, Barbary, flow into these welcoming quarters. But be careful – this venue has sometimes been known to be hard to find, although finding a parking spot never seems to be difficult.

Into music? The Handle Bar offers multiple touch-screen jukebox systems that cost about 50 cents a song. This is an “anything goes” kind of place. Horn-E-Dog night is featured on Saturdays, when scantily clad girls dance on the bar to whatever music is featured. However, if you’re into bands, the Handle Bar doesn’t feature any – it relies on your taste in music.

Ladies, if you plan on dancing, there is no need for heels. While there is a dance floor, the place usually ends up getting a little tight, and the Handle Bar isn’t a place you want to be uncomfortable in.

If you’re judging this book by its cover, you probably won’t be attracted to the Handle Bar. But it is nicer than most expect, and it’s one of those places you have to see at least once in your life. Happy hour never looked so good.

Good for: Those not into the hardcore bar scene but just want to kick back with cheap brews and tunes to drink.

Bad for: Those expecting to get smashed at a rave-a-thon.

Kara Koser can be reached at kara.koser@temple.edu.