Blogger dishes Philly picks

There are so many places to eat, drink, shop and play in the City of Brotherly Love, it’s easy to feel like a kid in a candy store – or a kid drowning in a sea of gumballs.

If you’re having trouble deciding between Continentals and Midtowns, Cantinas and dives, boutiques and Circle Thrifts, look no further: We’ve got the scoop on where some of Philly’s biggest personalities spend their time and money.

This week, we hear from Anna Goldfarb, cofounder and kitten-in-chief of every Philly girl’s favorite blog, the deliciously fun shmittenkitten.com. Goldfarb, 31, has lived in Fairmount for the past four years, and among writing witty posts about bad dates, boner-killers, hot nerds and fun drunks, she haunts local dive bars, plays Quizzo and makes fun of you in Rittenhouse Square.

Check out her picks:
EAT
If I’m paying, we are going to La Lupe in South Philly for cheese tacos. If he’s paying, we are going to Amada for a tapas-tasting menu. If all of my buddies are each chipping in, then we’ll head to Penang in Chinatown or Mad Mex in West Philly. If my parents are paying, then we’ll go to a Stephen Starr restaurant, such as Tangerine or Buddakan. I’m getting hungry just answering this question.

DRINK
Dive bar-wise, I love McGlinchy’s in Center City and the Lost Bar in Kensington. These are about the easiest places in America to hook up. If you show up and have a pulse, you can pretty much seal the deal. Regular bar-wise, I love the P.O.P.E. in South Philly and Dos Segundos in Northern Liberties. I like how the P.O.P.E. feels like you are drinking in a medieval cave, and the margaritas at Dos Segundos are pretty much the best.

SHOP
Don’t tell anyone, but I am totally low-tech and shop at TJ Maxx. When I’m not getting amazing deals on brand names, I like to shop at American Apparel. I know, I know, it’s lame. But, in my defense, I’m 6 feet 1 inch, so it’s hard to find clothes that fit as well as their clothes do.

PLAY
Rittenhouse Square Park is the best for people watching. I love grabbing an iced coffee and just swinging my feet on the stone wall, making catty comments about other park- goers. I also like kicking around Penn Treaty Park on a Sunday, maybe having a water balloon fight or two. I enjoy playing Quizzo Thursday nights at the Lost Bar. There’s nothing like beers and brains to ease into the weekend. And, if I’m in the mood to dance, I’ll head over to the Barbary for Turnaround vs. Immediate. There’s always something fun going on around town.

Anna Hyclak can be reached at anna.hyclak@temple.edu.