BLONDE REDHEAD TAKEOVER THE TLA

The opening tune from their new album Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons set the mood for Blonde Redhead’s appearance at the Theater of the Living Arts this past Friday. The trio from New York City

The opening tune from their new album Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons set the mood for Blonde Redhead’s appearance at the Theater of the Living Arts this past Friday.

The trio from New York City came onto the stage looking like the art and music students that they were, clad in tight pants and shirts. Their personas matched their perfect melodies, playing to an audience that was in such awe that they hardly talked in-between songs.

The set was short, however there were additions to many of the songs played. As usual, they came on stage, played their set and left, but not before doing a few songs for an encore.

The opening bands consisted of Lenola and the Dismemberment Plan, both of which did not match with Blonde Redhead’s intelligent and sparse music. Lenola, an indie-rock band, were talented, while the Dismemberment Plan never seemed to stop playing.

Both were good for the type of music they play, however, neither made for a good match. The three bands created what appeared to be too randomly chosen for one to actually enjoy.

Nevertheless, the kids dancing to Dismemberment Plan, and the bass player for Lenola who seemed heavily intoxicated were particularly amusing. Though, after the Dismemberment Plan’s tenth song things just got tedious.

Finally after what seemed like five hours of standing Blonde Redhead came out.

The set consisted of their most catchy songs, probably to keep the fans of Dismemberment Plan awake. The last song of their set “(I am taking out my Eurotrash) I still get rocks off” was the highlight of the show.

The vocal weaving of Kazu and Amedeo only accentuates the sexual tension that seems to surround them.

The fluid movements of Kazu and the intensity of the Italian brothers Amedeo and Simone had the audience’s gaze locked on them. Kazu’s shrieks startled some who weren’t familiar with the band, but no one seemed put off by them either.

They came and they played and went to the next town, there was no conversation with audience or wasted time.

This is the showmanship that the Dismemberment Plan should take queues from.