Boo to the business world

The upcoming holidays mean the ever-so-fun task of giving presents, but fear not, entertainment-loving shoppers: here’s some ideas to kick-start your search. All prices listed are from cdnow.com, a favorite for good deals online. DVDs

The upcoming holidays mean the ever-so-fun task of giving presents, but fear not, entertainment-loving shoppers: here’s some ideas to kick-start your search. All prices listed are from cdnow.com, a favorite for good deals online.

DVDs are generally fun, but you just can’t argue with the ass-kicking prowess of Almost Famous / Untitled: The Bootleg Cut ($20.99). It’s a 2 DVD set, one containing the movie in its original theatrical form, one containing the “Bootleg Cut” with 35 minutes of new footage and nifty extras like an interview with Lester Bangs, and original articles that Cameron Crowe wrote for Rolling Stone. To put this package over the top, it also includes a six-cut EP by Stillwater, the fictitious Led-Zep-meets-Journey rock band the flick centers on. Four songs are “originals” (penned by Crowe and wife Nancy Wilson), and two are Peter Frampton covers. Another excellent DVD to look out for is a 3-disc set reissuing the entire first season of the greatest television show ever, “The Simpsons” ($31.98).

On the music end of things, The Smashing Pumpkins have put out their Greatest Hits CD, a well-rounded overview of the band’s 12-year career. The limited edition version ($13.99) features a wonderful bonus disc of b-sides and outtakes from the past five years. Another stellar 2CD set, Philly native and certified soul diva Jill Scott has released Experience ($13.98): 85 minutes of live music with six new bonus tracks. A perfect follow-up to her acclaimed debut, Who is Jill Scott, Experience revives her most popular singles like “Love Rain” and “A Long Walk” into elaborate ballads and poetic marvels. Her new tracks are just as satisfying. The soulful “Gotta Get Up” inspires, stimulates, and entertains. Any true fan of Philly music will enjoy experiencing Scott’s passion and love for what she does so well.