Can’t spare a semester? How ’bout a summer?

While some students might consider Temple University’s North Philadelphia campus foreign territory, the small percentage of Temple students who study abroad have the marks in their passports to prove otherwise. Temple’s International Programs offer students

While some students might consider Temple University’s North Philadelphia campus foreign territory, the small percentage of Temple students who study abroad have the marks in their passports to prove otherwise.

Temple’s International Programs offer students a chance to study everywhere from Brazil to Ghana.

According to Kelly Dougherty, the Outreach and Marketing Coordinator for International Programs, students will benefit greatly from taking advantage of the opportunity to study abroad.

“Students who travel learn a lot about themselves – more so than they do here on Main Campus. Students who study abroad become more independent and motivated than they ever were before,” Dougherty said.

Dougherty also said that studying abroad could yield benefits beyond a student’s personal life.

“In today’s global society it’s almost a necessity to have international experience. Employers are constantly looking to hire people with this experience,” Dougherty said.

With the spring semester quickly approaching, it is time for students to begin thinking about spending the summer abroad, as applications deadlines approach in February.

“It’s never too early to start thinking about studying abroad. It’s best to plan ahead, as students will want to apply right before or right after winter break,” said Dougherty.

“Students can take information home over Thanksgiving or winter break to show to their parents, and begin to get their needed faculty recommendations in order.”

According to Dougherty, the summer sessions, which last six weeks, are more subject specific than their fall and spring semester counterparts.

“In the summer programs, you focus on one particular thing. For instance, you can go to Brazil to learn about Portuguese language and culture, or to Ghana to learn about African civilization,” Dougherty said.

As mentioned, the summer program is considerably shorter than either the fall or spring programs.

According to Dougherty the summer sessions are ideal for students whose degree programs won’t allow them to fit in a whole semester abroad.

“A large majority of the students who study abroad in the summer do so because of degree requirements. They want the international experience, but they simply can’t fit a full semester in. However, the program is also great for students who are personally wary about going abroad for an extended amount of time,” said Dougherty.

In addition to the standard summer abroad programs, including England and Italy, several new destinations have been added this year.

Students can now study history in Egypt, Spanish language, film and civilization in Spain, or Tokyo media in Japan.

For students who are interested in learning more about international opportunities, the International Programs office is located on the second floor of Tuttleman Learning Center and is open Monday through Friday.

Dougherty said that one of the two peer advisors or a member of the faculty is always available for walk-in appointments.

“Students can feel free to stop in anytime. We know that studying abroad can be a bit scary, and we’re ready to answer questions,” Dougherty said.

Most students who study abroad do so in their junior year, but sophomores and seniors are also eligible.

“I can guarantee that studying abroad would be the best time of any student’s life,” said Dougherty. “It’s very enriching.”

Alix Gerz can be reached at Agerz@hotmail.com