Fans, in costume, go extra mile for Mayor’s Cup

Temple fans go big for first football game of the season, donning more than just cherry and white.

Trevor Flocco manipulates a Batman costume to make his own super hero. ( TIMOTHY VALSHTEIN / TTN )
Students show Temple pride at the Mayor’s Cup game on Aug. 31. ( TIMOTHY VALSHTEIN / TTN )

The weather was warm, the smell of hot, juicy burgers was enticing the crowd and the lights in the stadium were shining bright. The new season of college football has finally arrived. Temple fans of all ages came out in full force this past Friday, Aug. 31, to watch the  Owls take on and defeat Villanova 41-10.

There was no shortage of cherry and white throughout the stands as fans boldly expressed their love and support for their school.

“I decided to paint my face because I really want to get into the spirit for Temple and this Temple game,” said Caylan Williams, a freshman university studies major.

Like Williams, this was the first football game for many freshmen.

“It’s amazing. I can’t wait,” Williams said. “I’m pumped.”

Dressing up for football games can become expensive, but many managed to keep costs low while still making a statement.

“We like to dress up in football attire. Since we don’t always have the money to buy stuff we just kind of make it our own,” freshman biology major Andrew Garrett said. “We just do whatever we can to be creative and show our school spirit.”

“I try to look the craziest and just have a good time,” freshman chemistry major Susan Gramlich said.

Both Gramlich and Garrett had various designs and drawings painted on their bodies, as well as bright cherry and white stripes painted into their hair.

Dressing up for football games offers many people the opportunity to wear funky costumes that they would otherwise not get to show off elsewhere.

“I like to go over the top with things, and dressing up like a super hero just seemed like something that made sense because I’m a big Batman fan,” junior theater major Trevor Flocco said.

Flocco replaced the Batman symbol with an owl and put it on his chest, wore a cape and covered his boots in fabric.

Students show Temple pride at the Mayor’s Cup game on Aug. 31. ( TIMOTHY VALSHTEIN / TTN )Students show Temple pride at the Mayor’s Cup game on Aug. 31. ( TIMOTHY VALSHTEIN / TTN )“I just joined Cherry Crusade and it’s all about being a part of a big team and a bigger picture that is just a great experience in general, to have something in common with other people,” Flocco said. “You can just have fun, cheer on the team and be a part of the team together.”

This sentiment of unity was something that was easily seen throughout the whole crowd that night.

“In high school you don’t always have the chance because you’re not in the ‘in’ crowd. But in college you get to change all that. You get to definitely show school spirit and just have Temple pride,” Garrett said.

Whether it was a quirky costume, wacky face paint or a creative homemade ensemble, Temple fans did not fail to proudly represent and cheer the football team on at its first game and victory of the season.

Ndidi Obasi can be reached at ndidi.obasi@temple.edu.