First Friday preview

Anyone considering attending February’s First Friday on Feb. 3 should be aware that it falls during Philadelphia’s Restaurant Week, held Jan. 29- Feb. 3. For those unfamiliar with Restaurant Week’s mission, some of Philadelphia’s best

firstfriday_1.31_AE_Reimold_03
ABI REIMOLD TTN The F.A.N. Gallery sits at Second and Arch streets. F.A.N. will host a show by Al Gury for February’s First Friday.

Anyone considering attending February’s First Friday on Feb. 3 should be aware that it falls during Philadelphia’s Restaurant Week, held Jan. 29- Feb. 3.

For those unfamiliar with Restaurant Week’s mission, some of Philadelphia’s best restaurants participate during the winter and summer seasons each year. During these days, restaurants lower their prices and feature three-course dinner menus at set prices. Participating restaurants including Buddakan, Amada, Cuba Libre and Farmacia are going to require reservations during these days. But if reservations aren’t possible for a three-course meal, First Friday is always hopping with free food around Old City.

Free Eats with Drink Philly

One particular event attendees may want to arrive early for to score some free eats is at Drink Philly at 239 Chestnut St., the second floor, Unit B of the building. Drink Philly is an organization “by drinkers, for drinkers” in Philadelphia, and their gallery space is always alive with great artwork, music and beverages.

This First Friday, the organization is giving a nod to an up-and-coming restaurant called Rex 1516. During the event, representatives of Rex 1516 will serve samples of their “triple threat mac n’ cheese,” along with a traditional jambalaya. The mac n’ cheese is said to be an amazing concoction of gruyere, Swiss and fontina with stewed tomatoes – a free treat worth showing up for. The event will also include free tastings of winter sangria and wine, with some live jazz music and artwork to add to the food-crazed evening.

Two must-see artists at this event are Miguel Antonio Horn and Rachel Lynn Kotkoskie. Horn is a Philadelphia native with a residency at the Philadelphia Traction Company. His work focuses on the themes of conflict, specifically deterioration of traditions and western ideals of beauty. Many of his sculptures and drawings are focused on the human body.

Kotkoskie is a photographer from Tyler School of Art who recently had her BFA Thesis Exhibition at the school in December 2011. Some of her works will also be shown at this gallery event, so you can have free food, drinks and support a fellow student all in one go.

The Drink Philly Event is, again, free and goes from 5 p.m.-9 p.m. on Feb. 3. The organization is asking visitors to RSVP ahead of time.

F.A.N. Gallery—Al Gury: New Paintings

Another gallery worth stopping by is F.A.N., located at 221 Arch St. This month’s exhibition features the Painting Chair of the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Al Gury. Gury is known for his still life paintings, and will be featuring new still life works as well as landscapes in this show. He is an artist who works with flat planes of color and airy brushstrokes, well regarded and the author of two painting books: “Alla Prima: A Contemporary Guide to Traditional Direct Painting,” and “Color for Painters: A Guide to Traditions and Practice.” The opening reception will go from 5 p.m.-9 p.m.

Artists’ House—Don’t Miss Katherine Fraser

The Artists’ House is known for combination shows, featuring five or six artists at a time in their gallery located at 57 North Second St. Pennsylvania alumna Katherine Fraser will be featured for her paintings and portraits of women depicted in a “dream-like” manner. Fraser said in her biography that she sees life as a string of moments, “like film stills,” and she captures this essence in her oil paintings. The First Friday reception will run from 5-8:30 p.m.

Nicole Welk