Football and Men’s Soccer recieve conference honors

The American Athletic Conference honored three Temple athletes on Monday following their performances over the weekend.

Junior midfielder Lukas Fernandes controls the ball in Temple's 1-1 overtime draw with Memphis on Saturday at the Temple Sports Complex. | JUSTIN OAKES / THE TEMPLE NEWS

Two Temple University football players and one men’s soccer athlete were named to weekly American Athletic Conference honors, the conference announced Monday.

Junior wide receiver Isaiah Wright earned American Athletic Conference Special Teams Player of the Week for his performance in the 49-6 win against East Carolina at Lincoln Financial Field.

Wright had 192 all purpose yards, including a 59-yard punt return for a touchdown in the second quarter on Saturday. He also had a 19-yard receiving touchdown and two carries for 14-yards. This is his first punt return for a touchdown this season and his second receiving touchdown of the year. Wright has 765 all-purpose yards for the season.

The punt return was Temple’s sixth non-offensive touchdown of the season.

The American named redshirt sophomore Anthony Russo to the weekly honor roll for leading the Owls to their historic win over ECU.

The quarterback completed 21 out of 25 passes for 245 yards and four touchdowns along with one interception. His longest touchdown of the day was a 31-yard pass to junior wide receiver Randle Jones.

Russo has 873 yards and five touchdowns this season.

The Owls are travelling to Annapolis, Maryland on Saturday, Oct. 13th to play conference opponent Navy.

Men’s Soccer

Junior midfielder Lukas Ferndandes scored five points last week and was named to the American Athletic Conference weekly honor roll in men’s soccer..

Fernandes recorded four-points– one goal and two assists – to help the Owls top the New Jersey Institute of Technology on Wednesday. He tallied another assist on freshman midfielder Jalen Campbell’s goal in a 1-1 tie with Memphis on Saturday.

Fernandes was recognized by the Conference earlier this season, when he was named Offensive Player of the Week on Sept. 24.

Fernandes is having the best season of his career at Temple, recording season highs in games started and points in 2018. He has started every game since Sept. 8, and his four goals, three assists and 11 total points all lead the Owls.

Temple will travel to Tampa to take on South Florida on Friday in a conference matchup.