Golf places eighth at Big 5 Invite

The golf team hosted the Big 5 Invite last weekend, placing eighth. The golf team received solid scores from three of its five players throughout the weekend, the sore spot is four scores count in

The golf team hosted the Big 5 Invite last weekend, placing eighth.

The golf team received solid scores from three of its five players throughout the weekend, the sore spot is four scores count in college golf.

The golf team settled for eighth place at the Big 5 Invitational after its five-man team was in fourth place on day one of the two-day tournament.  The Owls’ hosted the tournament at the Plymouth Country Club, Norristown during the weekend.

Dartmouth won the overall championship and their coach, Rich Parker, attributes it to their No. 4 player sophomore Joe Maziar.  Parker said the fourth and fifth players are the most important scoring contributors on a college golf team.

“I know what I’m going to get from our number 1-3 players,” Parker said. “It’s when your No. 4 and 5 players start coming up big when you win tournaments.”

The Owls, likewise received consistent play from three golfers throughout the weekend, with junior Devin Bibeau, and sophomores Steve Burak and Matthew Crescenzo all finishing in the top 25 of the tournament that had 113 competitors from all across the East Coast.

The Cherry and White was near the top of the leader board after day one of the competition, but day two though was not as favorable for the Owls as they saw themselves fall from fourth place after day one to an eighth place finish.  The Owls’ finish was second amongst Big 5 teams behind only Pennsylvania.

Consistency is one thing coach Brian Quinn constantly stresses.

“I always stress consistency, we bring kids in and try to teach them how to manage their game, not how to play the game our way, we need to avoid trying to hit shots we don’t know if we can make, because that’s where our team loses valuable shots,” Quinn said. “Like everybody else we are trying to become a top college golf program in the country, and we can only do that by recruiting and shooting consistently the best scores we are capable of.”

As the host team of the tournament, Quinn said the level of competition that attended the invitational not only helps golf at Temple to be recognized, but in the Philadelphia area as well.

“We want this to become an elite golf tournament in the country,” Quinn said.  “A lot of things have to come together for that to happen and the support we received from the fans, Plymouth Country Club, and the teams who traveled from as far as South Carolina to play in the event.”

The Owls have one event remaining in the fall season as they travel to Fiddler’s Elbow Country Club in Bedminster, N.J. for the Lincoln Mercury Invitational.

Anthony Bellino can be reached at anthony.bellino@temple.edu.