Gourmet dining only blocks away

Temple students have always found their starved stomachs filled at the Student Center Food Court, or even the lunch trucks surrounding Main Campus. However, there is another option, which seems to be right in front

Temple students have always found their starved stomachs filled at the Student Center Food Court, or even the lunch trucks surrounding Main Campus. However, there is another option, which seems to be right in front of our faces but somehow hidden just one block from the center of Main Campus.

Noshery is a gourmet cafe located at 1600 N. Broad St., in the Avenue North shopping center in front of The Edge. Being that the cafe has been open for a mere four months, its popularity is slowly growing.

“The weekdays during lunch time is when we are the busiest, but later in the evening
is when we have slower traffic,” said manager Juno Park. “Our clientele is growing being that a lot of our regular customers are spreading the word about Noshery,” Park added.

The store itself is quaint with a tall unfinished-look to the ceiling. About seven tables are arranged with chairs on wood floors and plants surround the eatery. A variety of music usually is played while customers select their meals. With your meal you can choose from a variety of specialty sodas and drinks as well as chips and popcorn, which are placed in shelves along the front side of the register.

Junior Desiree Meredith and her friend Matt Oslovich from New Jersey were the only patrons in the restaurant when I was dining. I asked them about their experiences thus far.

“We come here constantly but nobody is ever here,” said Meredith in shock. “They have little punch cards where you can eventually get $5 off your meal and the food is awesome so we keep coming back every weekend.”

“They have some of the best sandwiches I have had in a while,” said Oslovich surprised, “I was impressed by their varied selection and I always enjoy every choice I make.”

Within the walls of this small sandwich shop lies some of the most decadent and affordable sandwiches and hoagies I have tasted in my time here at Temple.

“Nothing particularly inspired the choices
I made for what to serve in the store,” said Park, “these are just recipes I have learned throughout the years.”

Handcrafted signature sandwiches including
the Soprano Panini with honey maple turkey, pepperoni, roasted peppers, basil, provolone and mozzarella cheeses, and the High Street with black forest ham, Russian dressing, and smoked gouda on pumpernickel bread are just two of more than twenty selections of sandwiches on the menu. Both of these sandwiches are between the prices of $6-$7.

Some other choices include specialty
hoagies, wraps, and you can also create
your own sandwich, wrap, hoagie or panini to meet your special requests. Noshery offers a frequent nosher card where you can gain $5 off any purchase after your tenth meal at the shop. They also offer delivery with a $15 minitemple mum or $2 charge for delivery under $15 which started on April 1st of this year. Although Noshery seems to be an unadvertised secret, manager Juno Park plans on getting the word spread soon.

“We haven’t advertised at all yet because
I wanted my workers to learn to work during rush hour time without many customers,”
said Park.

“We plan on having a summer break promotion for students who are taking summer classes or staying on campus during
this coming summer,” he said.

Giavanna Ippolito can be reached at giavanna.ippolito@temple.edu.