Green on-the-go snack provides healthy boost

This chlorophyll and vitamin packed smoothie has anti-aging and anti-cancer benefits.

For those who aren’t the biggest fans of vegetables, smoothies can be a great way to sneak some much-needed nutrients into their diets. This green smoothie is the emblem of a healthy breakfast. Loaded with fiber, vitamins, minerals and energy boosters, a glass will leave your body feeling lean and green – like an eco-power-running machine.

grace simple savors

While most veggies are beneficial to one’s diet, green vegetables may prove to be at the top of the vegetable pyramid in terms of health. Chlorophyll, the pigment made during photosynthesis that gives green veggies their color, has been proven to have anticarcinogenic, or anti-cancer properties. A recent study published in the International Journal of Cancer shows that chlorophyll stops the growth of colon cancer cells within humans. It was also shown that chlorophyllin proved to be 10 times as potent in killing colon cancer cells as the typical chemotherapeutic drug.

Greens have been attributed to numerous other health benefits, such as anti-aging properties. For example, just one cup of raw kale contains more than 100 percent of the suggested Daily Value of vitamin C and more than 200 percent of the DV of vitamin A. Leafy greens like kale also contain substantial amounts of calcium and iron, and they tend to be low in calories. Kale has as few as 30 calories per one cup raw.

By using greens in a smoothie and keeping them raw, it ensures that all their healthful nutrients and enzymes stay intact. Just be sure to wash the leaves well, since no cooking will be taking place to kill the bacteria.

The following recipe uses just three basic ingredients to create a nutrient and flavor-packed, wake-me-up smoothie. Aside from the color, you will barely notice that you are drinking vegetables. The sweetness of the fruit mixed with the greens creates a creamy, refreshing and energizing drink, just in time for spring.

Feel free to add a protein, such as yogurt, protein powder, flax, ground nuts, et cetera, to turn this snack into a more complete meal. Also, don’t be shy about including any ripe or in-season fruit you have on hand, but this might slightly change the vibrant green color.

Grace Dickinson can be reached at grace.dickison@temple.edu.

1. Green smoothies were discovered by Victoria Boutenko in 2005. She provides a lot of free information on the health benefits of greens. You don’t event need to add protein to a green smoothies, greens are packed with it.