Hofstra hands women’s soccer first loss of the season

Women’s soccer loses to Hofstra 3-1 in the Fairfield Inn by Marriot Invitational.

The women’s soccer team fell to Hofstra 3-1 to open up the Fairfield Inn by Marriot Invitational in Harrisonburg, Va. on Friday.

Opening the match for the Owl’s was senior midfielder Jourdan Brill, who scored the first goal of the match in the 22nd minute of competition and netted her first career collegiate goal.

“It was an absolutely fantastic goal for [Brill],” coach Matt Gwilliam said. “We really put on the pressure and we were able to put one in the net.”

After the goal by Brill, Hofstra took control of the match with three consecutive goals.

In the 36th minute, sophomore midfielder/forward Sam Scolarici scored the first goal for Hofstra, tying the game at one.

Sophomore midfielder/forward Lulu Echeverry scored the second goal for Hofstra in the 64th minute, which was quickly followed by a goal for freshman midfielder Jill Mulholland in the 67th minute to give Hofstra a 3-1 lead and the eventual win.

Throughout the match, the Owls were outshot by Hofstra 16 to nine while Hofstra also had twice as many shots on goal than the Owls with eight, while Temple had four shots on goal.

Redshirt senior goalkeeper Tara Murphy provided the Owls with five saves in the match.

“We played very well defensively today,” Gwilliam added. “We just have to cut out a few of the mistakes.”

With Hofstra on Friday, who has received votes in the national polls, and James Madison on Sunday, the Owls see these matches as an opportunity to prepare for gameplay once they enter the Big East.

“Hofstra and James Madison are two very good programs that have been successful in the past and play at a high level,” Gwilliam said. “We showed that we can hang with top teams in the country.”

With the loss, the Cherry and the White fall to 0-1-1 on the season, while Hofstra remains undefeated with a record of 3-0-0.

Coach Gwilliam admitted that the young Owls were disappointed with their first loss, but will have to learn from things in the past.

“We’re trying to build a group to compete this year and for the future,” Gwilliam said.

The next match for the Owls is on Sunday, Aug. 26 against James Madison University in Harrisonburg to complete the Fairfield Inn by Marriot Invitational.

John Murrow can be reached at john.murrow@temple.edu.