Home-invasion hold ups cause concern near campus

Morgan Zalot The Temple News A shot rang out at Ninth and Norris streets minutes before 1 a.m. Nov. 2, leaving one Temple student injured, said Campus Safety Services Executive Director Carl Bittenbender. The student,

Morgan Zalot
The Temple News

A shot rang out at Ninth and Norris streets minutes before 1 a.m. Nov. 2, leaving one Temple student injured, said Campus Safety Services Executive Director Carl Bittenbender.
The student, later identified as Mackenson Altidor, a senior marketing major and defender for Temple’s men’s soccer team, sustained a gunshot wound to the buttocks. He was taken to Temple Hospital shortly after the incident, treated and released later that morning.
Altidor was approached by three unknown males demanding money, one of whom displayed a gun, on the 900 block of Norris Street, according to the daily crime report compiled by Campus Police.
Bittenbender said according to Altidor’s report, he was shot when he told the men he did not have any money. Nothing was taken from Altidor or from the other students who were allegedly present.
Both Associate Director of Athletics Larry Dougherty and soccer coach David MacWilliams declined to comment on the incident.
In an e-mail correspondence with The Temple News, Altidor identified himself as the student involved in the incident but declined further comment, citing he felt he was at risk of losing his scholarship if he conducted an interview.
On Nov. 2, the men’s soccer team played and won a game against Xavier University. The night before games, the soccer team has a curfew. The men’s soccer playoffs are this weekend in Pittsburgh, Pa.
Suspects are unknown, said Bittenbender, but there is no indication that the perpetrators were Temple-affiliated.
He said an investigation is currently underway by the Philadelphia Police Department’s East Detectives Division, and Campus Police will continue to receive updated information.
Morgan Zalot can be reached at morgan.zalot@temple.edu.

Groups of gun-brandishing males burglarized at least four off-campus student residences recently.

In the corridor just west of 18th Street, students at four separate residences answered knocks on their doors to find three to four males who held them at gunpoint and proceeded to subsequently rob their homes, stealing money, credit cards, electronics and other valuables, Campus Safety Services Executive Director Carl Bittenbender said.

On Friday, Bittenbender said personnel from Campus Police canvassed the area where the burglaries occurred and handed out fliers to notify residents of the incidents.

The fliers also advised residents to be vigilant and make use of front windows or peepholes to identify visitors before unlocking the door. Residents are urged to call 911 if they do not recognize people knocking at their doors and feel threatened, or if someone knocks persistently.

“No injuries have been reported,” Bittenbender said, adding that all four known incidents involving students happened during the day or early evening, not overnight.

The Philadelphia Police Department’s Central Detective Division, in conjunction with Campus Police, is currently investigating the incidents.