InLiquid hosts affordable art event

Non-profit InLiquid is hosting their sixteenth “Art For the Cash Poor,” an event designed to promote emerging artists and invite visitors to purchase affordable art.

2016's Art for the Cash Poor poster, provided by InLiquid.

InLiquid, a nonprofit arts organization, is gearing up for its yearly event, Art for the Cash Poor. Held on 1400 N. American St. at Crane Arts, the festival-like outing helps emerging artists display and sell their work. Each piece is priced at or under $199, allowing visitors to jumpstart art collections at an affordable price.

The free event will be held June 13 and 14 and is open to the public. Art for the Cash Poor will feature more than 100 artists selling pieces in nearly every medium, from painting to sculpting and crafts to ceramics. This year’s event will be the sixteenth InLiquid has organized.

“We estimate around 2,000 attendees every year,” said Erica Minutella, InLiquid’s site editor.

Varying food trucks and vendors will be available both days, according to Minutella and Matthew Hall, the organization’s graphic designer.

“Attendees will never get the same thing twice,”  Hall said. “Every day there’s different artists, different food trucks, and different bands.”

An indoor and outdoor festival-like atmosphere, Art for the Cash Poor features free live bands and food vendors like Weckerly’s Ice Cream, Chewy’s and Foolish Waffles.

Three years ago, InLiquid initiated a ticketed preview show the Friday before the event days, according to Minutella. The preview will take place on June 12, and will serve as a fundraiser for the AIDS Fund.

According to Minutella, the preview party is more intimate and gives viewers insight on what to expect for the actual event. The preview party will also include refreshment tastings by Whistlepig Rye, Tito’s Vodka and Cooper River. Music performances include Gunnar Montana and Disco Hootenanny.

Submissions for vending artists are put through a “screening process for quality,” according to Minutella, “but anyone is welcome to submit their work.”

Artists for this year’s weekend-long event include Hannah Agosta, Tony Amato, Arthur Fisher, Colefire, Deckstool, Rachel Jacoby, Sherman Oberson and Gillian Pokalo.

InLiquid not only receives an influx of artists for Art for the Cash Poor, but also has many “in-kind” sponsors – sponsors who donate support and resources rather than cash. Penn Treaty Special Services District, Bill Tank and Rustica are some of the sponsors supporting the event this year.

Hall and Minutella said InLiquid’s goal is the same this year as it is for every year: to produce a successful show that allows artists to sell their work and attracts visitors.

“Last year, we received great feedback from artists and bands about the promotion we were able to put out,” Minutella said. “This year, we are working with a new event team, and we’re just hoping some of our ideas come alive.”

“Come both days,” Hall said. “We have plenty of fresh artists, food trucks, and beer tents. Most importantly, find an artist you like and buy their work.”

Ashley Caldwell can be reached at ashley.caldwell@temple.edu