Ives arrives in the Student Affairs office

After arriving in June, the new associate vice president is adjusting to her role.

Student Affairs has a fresh face in the office, but Dr. Stephanie Ives, the new associate vice president, would rather the focus be on the students.

“I never really liked a lot of attention on me,” she said. “I was never that person you’d read about and be like ‘Oh hey, that’s her.’”

Ives arrived at Temple in June 2008 and has brought with her an array of education and experience.
“I came in the summer when it was quieter,” Ives said. “But I really looked forward to the students returning and bringing with them all that energy.”

Stephanie Ives of Student Affairs works to improve student life (Kelly McManus/TTN).

The new associate vice president’s areas of responsibility include working with Tuttleman Counseling Services, Disability Resources and Services and the Russell Conwell Center.

“I’ll be supporting them in their current missions. They do a fabulous job already,” Ives said about the three facilities she will assist throughout the school year. “I’ll also be working on a health and wellness profile.”

In addition, she will be involved with strategic planning and assessment and evaluation efforts.
Ives is also working on developing a health and wellness program for students.

Within the division of responsibility for assessment, evaluation and strategic planning, Ives will identify current trends and future challenges, as well as help with grant opportunities.

She received both her bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the University of Arizona. In 2005, she earned her doctorate in higher education management from the University of Pennsylvania, with interest in the challenges of institutional support for college counseling services. She is also a 2008 graduate of the Summer Institute for Women in Higher Education Administration.

“I love Philadelphia,” said Ives, who served as the director of strategic initiatives at Penn for nine years.
“I worked at the University of Pennsylvania, so I’m familiar with the city,” Ives said. “I just had to change my commute.”

“Dr. Ives brings to Temple a very great set of skills and leadership, coupled with incredible passion for ensuring quality service to students,” said John Bennett, director of Disability Resources and Services. “We in Disability Resources and Services are delighted to work with Dr. Ives in ensuring Temple University continues to work toward greater inclusion of students with a disability.”

“I love Temple,” Ives said. “The students and everyone here has such a great energy.”

Valerie Rubinsky can be reached at valerie.rubinsky@temple.edu.