Lacrosse clinches playoff bid

The team defeated St. Bonaventure, 14-10, in its final home game. In its final home game of the regular season, the lacrosse team came out on top in a 14-10 win against St. Bonaventure at

The team defeated St. Bonaventure, 14-10, in its final home game.

In its final home game of the regular season, the lacrosse team came out on top in a 14-10 win against St. Bonaventure at Geasey Field. The Owls now stand at 4-2 in the Atlantic Ten Conference and 6-9 overall. With only one game of regular season play left, against La Salle this Thursday, the team can safely count on one of the four spots in the A-10 Conference Tournament, held at Geasey field on April 29 and May 1.

The win was of particular importance to the team, which celebrated the athletic careers of its four seniors, midfielder Jennifer Homka, midfielder Alexandra Shapiro, attacker Nicholle St. Pierre and attacker Ann Stouffer.

“We really made a huge team effort,” said sophomore midfielder Charlotte Swavola, who scored three goals in the game. “It was important for us to put it all out there for our seniors today.”

The score bounced back and forth in the first period, with the Bonnies scoring first. Junior midfielder Kelsey Zenuk tallied the Owls first goal, and sophomore midfielder Stephany Parcell notched two of her eventual five goals in the game. The Bonnies kept a threatening presence throughout the half, but freshman attacker Jaymie Tabor brought Temple into the lead with two unassisted goals by the end of the first period.

From then on, Temple was able to explode into the lead, making its move early in the second half. Leaping to a six-point lead in less than 15 minutes, Parcell and Swavola scored two apiece, and Zenuk and junior midfielder Missy Schweitzer both contributed goals to the 12-6 lead.

The Bonnies did not back down and the Owls continued to battle for the win despite their acquired lead. Finishing off with three-consecutive goals in the last six minutes, St. Bonaventure brought the score to 14-10 by the game’s finale. The team was led by junior attacker Danielle Drabin, who tallied four goals and an assist for the Bonnies.

Like Sunday’s game, the Owls have been improving as time goes on. The team lost eight of its first nine games of the season but picked up the intensity in conference play, improving to become viable competitors in the tournament.

“We had a slow start,” Homka said. “We started out with not that much confidence in each other but now have been working much better as a team.”

Coach Bonnie Rosen said she has high hopes for her team, as well. Although acknowledging the loss of her four seniors for next year’s season, she is heavily prioritized on the upcoming tournament.

“The strength is all around. From the first person out on the field to the last one on the bench,” Rosen said. “We are very team-oriented, and it’s always a group effort.”

In regards to areas of improvement, Rosen pointed to her team’s effort toward defense, saying they need to shut down the opponents’ opportunities earlier on and limit the number of turnovers, while continuing to keep up their own attack.

Rosen also pointed out that the second half needs to focus more on keeping control, particularly in this game, where the lead could have gotten away from them. The team will see action again Thursday at 7 p.m. when they face off against La Salle.

Elizabeth Sim can be reached at esim@temple.edu.