Letter to the Editor: Dan Dunphy

Dear editor, Nov. 3 will mark not just another municipal election for the city of Philadelphia or the Democratic Party, but will determine the direction in which Philadelphia and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania will move.

Dear editor,

Nov. 3 will mark not just another municipal election for the city of Philadelphia or the Democratic Party, but will determine the direction in which Philadelphia and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania will move. The choices this Nov. 3 are clear, as the ticket of the Democratic Party candidates represents the progressive values of Pennsylvania’s residents and includes the experience needed to lead our city to achieving fiscal stability and ethical leadership.

This Election Day, the Democratic Party ticket is also one of the most diverse array of candidates to run on a single ticket in Pennsylvania. While every election counts, here are some of the most important races and why the Democratic candidates are the best choices for Temple University, the city of Philadelphia and across the Keystone State:

Jack Panella for Justice of the State Supreme Court Candidate: The results of this November’s elections will be a deciding factor in the balance of power between Democrats and Republicans on the State Supreme Court. Jack Panella is currently a judge on the Superior Court of Pennsylvania and was also a judge on the Court of Common Pleas of Northampton County, Pa. Panella has stood firmly on Democratic policies including a woman’s right to choose and will stand up for fair districting in Pennsylvania to counter the districting tactics of Republicans that mute the voices of Pennsylvania’s residents.

Dan Anders for the Court of Common Pleas: Judge Dan Anders currently serves in Philadelphia’s Family Court Division and was nominated by Governor Ed Rendell to fill a vacancy on the Court of Common Pleas and received a unanimous confirmation by the State Senate. Anders is the first openly gay candidate for the Court of the Common Pleas, making history for the city of Philadelphia. Anders and is in fact endorsed by both the Democratic and Republican Parties for the Court of Common Pleas.

Seth Williams for district attorney: Seth Williams is a lifelong Philadelphia resident and will move Philadelphia in the right direction on addressing crime and its causes in Philadelphia. Williams will stand up to corruption in the city of Philadelphia and vows to protect Philadelphia’s provide support for victims and families of crimes in Philadelphia and prosecuting those crimes with appropriate and ethical methods that encourage residents of Philadelphia to resist and prevent future crime. Williams is the first African-American district attorney Democratic candidate and when elected will be Philadelphia’s first African-American district attorney.

Alan Butkovitz for city controller: Butkovitz is Philadelphia’s current City Controller. He has proven his ability to perform the duties he was elected to carry out and has gained the experience needed to keep moving Philadelphia forward.

Dan Dunphy
President of Temple College Democrats

2 Comments

1. I agree that the causes of crime have to be addressed, not just law enforcement. Living off campus around Temple can be challenging because of the crime. Its a hard reality that students trying to deal with the challenges of school and study have to deal with the stress of urban crime at the same time. No one ever listens to me but I lived in Europe as a kid and there is no equivalent to North Philadelphia in Europe. I am talking about crime. Europe does not have crime like we do. Not at all. Thats because they invest in the poor and strive to end poverty. Anyway here is that article Safety Tips for living off campus near Temple University: http://www.protectcollegestudents.com/index_Page273.htm

Here is a great article on dealing with crime around Temple University: