MCPB and TSG unity a key issue for presidential hopeful

As a member of the risk management fraternity Gamma Iota Sigma, Main Campus Program Board President Raysean Hogan said he is ready to compete in the business world. Hogan, a junior risk management and insurance

As a member of the risk management fraternity Gamma Iota Sigma, Main Campus Program Board President Raysean Hogan said he is ready to compete in the business world.

Hogan, a junior risk management and insurance major, said he has learned what it takes to be successful by participating in Gamma Iota Sigma’s often rigorous schedule – which includes committee and general meetings, mock interviews, internship workshops and career fairs.

“Everything is career oriented,” Hogan said of the fraternity’s weekly regiment. “Everything they do is designed to prepare you for corporate America.”

Now, Hogan said he is hoping that he can bring the skills he acquired from Gamma Iota Sigma to the top position in Temple Student Government.

Hogan is running for student body president with the slate “Owl Evolution.” Joining him on this slate will be junior Priya Patel, a member of the Business Honors Student Association, and TSG Diversity Affairs Co-chair sophomore Juan Galeano.

The candidates said they plan to address issues concerning academics, student life, student organizations and off-campus problems.

As MCPB president, Hogan has helped bring major events like “Vote or Die” to campus. He describes himself as a “problem-solver” and “facilitator” to the members of his organization.

“I have made myself somewhat of a father figure in MCPB because I am someone that people look to for direction,” Hogan said. “I’m the voice, I give purpose and it is my job to motivate.”

Hogan said one goal “Owl Evolution” wants to accomplish is to maintain and “build upon the relationship between TSG and MCPB.” He is also one of the founding members of the Homecoming Committee along with current Vice President of Student Affairs Cristina Ackas.

Patel, the vice president of academic affairs candidate for “Owl Evolution,” is the director of fund-raising for Phi Beta Lambda and a former OWL Team leader.

Patel, an international business and marketing major, attended an all-female academic conference in Dubai last month and studied abroad in Italy last semester.

Patel said making more courses available to students was an important issue to the “Owl Evolution” slate.

“Often times, students have to resort to taking classes at Ambler or somewhere far away from campus,” Patel said. “It is inconvenient and it needs to be fixed.”

Galeano, the vice president of student affairs candidate for “Owl Evolution,” is a member of Habitat for Humanity and a resident assistant in Johnson Hall.

Last year, Galeano, a political science major, was named TSG representative of the year.

Galeano said “Owl Evolution” wants to set up an annual meeting between students and the Board of Trustees.

“This way, trustees will be able to hear about student concerns directly from the source,” Galeano said, adding that “Owl Evolution” wants to set up an open forum between students and the deans of schools.

With a new president arriving in the fall and new facilities planned for the future, one of the slate’s biggest goals is to ensure that the university continues to move in a positive direction.

To accomplish this goal, Hogan said “Evolution” would make an effort to improve the university’s national rankings.

“Temple is in a transitional phase,” Hogan said. “We are the best people to handle this transition.”

Tyson McCloud can be reached at tyson@temple.edu.