Men’s games to watch

The Owls do not have a Top 25 preseason rank, but they do have a high Strength of Schedule. Temple plays four preseason-ranked opponents this season with three of the four coming at home at the Liacouras Center.

@ GEORGETOWN, NOV. 17
In only their second game of the season, the Owls will get tested early by facing off with No. 20 Georgetown. The Hoyas’ offensive attack is led by sophomore center Greg Monroe, who is on the list of players on the Naismith Trophy watch. Expect sophomore forward/center Micheal Eric and junior forward Lavoy Allen to have their hands full with this matchup.

VS. PENN STATE, DEC. 5

The reigning NIT Champions have something to prove in this return matchup from last season. The Owls traveled to State College, Pa., last year and handed the Lions a loss that may have been a big blow to their NCAA Tournament chances. When the Nittany Lions’ defense focuses in on a certain target, they seclude him from the game. Just ask former guard Dionte Christmas.

VS. Villanova, Dec. 13
A Final Four team from last year and the favorite to win the Big East Conference this year, the No. 5 Villanova Wildcats will bring their guard-oriented offense into the Liacouras Center in a Big 5 matchup. With a stellar player in senior guard Scottie Reynolds, the Wildcats have one of the best shots to make it back to the Final Four. Can Temple’s defense, led by senior guard and captain Ryan Brooks, step up?

VS. KANSAS, JAN. 2
As the 2008 National Champions and preseason No.1, the Jayhawks have made headlines. Kansas’ All-Americans, senior Sherron Collins and junior Cole Aldrich, may just be the best one-two punch in the nation, but the Jayhawks have been known to falter with turnovers. Sophomore guard Juan Fernandez will have to keep his hands quick against Kansas to have a chance to pull the upset.

VS. DAYTON, FEB. 24
To be the man, you’ve got to beat the man. Atlantic Ten favorite Dayton travels to North Broad Street to take on the two-time defending champion Owls in a possible A-10 tournament matchup. Last year, Temple had to travel to both Dayton and Xavier. Coach Brian Gregory’s squad will come into North Philadelphia with junior Chris Wright leading the way for the Flyers.

OTHER NOTABLE GAMES
Two games against Saint Joseph’s home Jan. 6 and away Feb. 20 at the Palestra. Duquesne, who battled the Owls in last year’s A-10 title game, travels to the Liacouras Center Feb. 3 for the A-10 Championship rematch.

Christian Audesirk