Women’s games to watch

Last year, the Owls defeated then-No. 13 Xavier. This year, they’ll have plenty of opportunities to beat ranked opponents with games against the likes of Auburn, Rutgers, Duke and Xavier both on the road and at home.

VS. AUBURN, NOV. 17
A solid Southeastern Conference team that ranked as high as No. 13 last season and finished in first in the SEC, the Tigers come to McGonigle minus DeWanna Bonner. Jordan Greenleaf, however, will make her presence known in McGonigle, as the tough Temple defense will have to step up.

@ XAVIER, JAN. 10
No. 15 Xavier and the Owls draw a nationally televised Atlantic Ten Conference matchup. In what could be a precursor to the A-10 tournament finals, Xavier’s Amber Harris returns from a season-ending injury. She averaged 15 points per game prior to her injury last season, and the Owls upset then-No. 13 Xavier minus her presence. Xavier is the early choice in the polls for the A-10 title.

VS. Saint JOSEPH’S, JAN. 16/Feb. 2
In the front half of a doubleheader with the men’s team, the Hawks come into the Liacouras Center. In the always bitter rivalry between two Philadelphia basketball schools, the Owls have to feel they have the upper hand. Brittany Ford will lead the Hawks, picked to finish ninth in the A-10, into battle.

VS. CHARLOTTE, FEB. 13
The defending A-10 Champions roll into the Liacouras Center against Temple. The 49ers return three seniors to their potent offense, including Aysha Jones, who averaged 14 points per game last season.

@ RICHMOND, FEB. 24
A team that brings back all five starters, the Spiders will have junior guard Brittani Shells at the helm of their attack. Can the Owls take charge in their road finale?

Christian Audesirk