Men’s soccer ties after game cut short due to lightning

Junior forward Luke Fernandes again scored Temple’s lone goal.

Sophomore forward Justin Hahn kicks the ball in the Owl’s 1-0 win against the University of Central Florida at the Temple Sports Complex on Sept. 21. | JUSTIN OAKES / THE TEMPLE NEWS

The bright stadium lights at the Temple Sports Complex illuminated the falling rain, getting heavier as the second half went on.

As the game continued, the storm neared, and eventually the referees and coaches met in the middle of the field. Soon after, players filed off the field and fans evacuated the stadium as the game was officially delayed, due to lightning.

Since there appeared to be no break in the inclement weather in the near future, the game ended with 19 minutes and 55 seconds remaining. The match between Temple (3-4-2, 1-0 American Athletic Conference) and Philly Soccer Six opponent Villanova resulted in a 1-1 tie on Wednesday night. Because the teams played at least 70 minutes, the score is final and the game will not be rescheduled.

The Owls scored first with a goal from junior forward Lukas Fernandes in the 18th minute — his third goal in as many games. Fernandes now leads the team in goals, points, and shots.

Sophomore forward Justin Hahn earned the assist. Hahn’s pass was deflected by a Villanova defender, but Fernandes gained possession, maneuvered past the goalkeeper and scored.

In the 70:05 played, Temple was active on offense, recording 14 total shots, five of which were on goal. This is the most shots for the Owls in a game this season despite losing 20 minutes of game time.

Nine Owls recorded shots with Fernandes leading the way. The forward ended the game with four shots, two of which were on target. Freshman forward Elias Hellgren Villegas added three shots to the mix as well. They each set a new personal best for shots in a game this season.

After going down a goal early in the first half, the Wildcats picked up their pace on offense. Villanova ended with 10 shots, six of which were on goal.

Despite the effort from junior goalkeeper Simon Lefebvre, the Wildcats found the back of the net in the 54th minute during intense offensive pressure at the start of the second half. Lefebvre ended the night with five saves.

Temple’s next game will be against conference opponent Cincinnati on the road Saturday at 4 p.m.