Mixed emotions after 10th place finish

The Owls took home their second Top 10 finish of the season Tuesday at the Georgetown Intercollegiate.

Temple finished up its second to last event of the fall with a 10th place finish in the Georgetown Intercollegiate Tuesday.

The event, which began Monday, featured 12 teams and was played at The Members Club at Four Streams in Beallsville, Maryland.

Senior Brandon Matthews was the team’s lowest scorer, finishing sixth overall with a three-over par 145. Matthews was followed by redshirt freshman John Barone who shot an eight-over par 150 for a 15th place finish.

Freshman Sam Soeth tied for 51st, and freshmen Trey Wren and Gary McCabe tied for 59th and 65th, respectively.

“I think the kids are starting to learn things they need to work on and how to get better,” Matthews said.

The team’s 10th place finish was the second time all season the Owls finished in the Top 10 or better of a tournament. Coming into the Intercollegiate, the Owls’ best finish in the fall was a fifth place finish at the Quechee Club Collegiate Challenge Sept. 26-27.

“It’s all a stepping stone for these kids,” coach Brian Quinn said. “To be honest with you the kids are still making some big mistakes.”

The Georgetown Intercollegiate was McCabe’s second tournament as an Owl. He last played in the Hartford Hawk Invitational when Matthews was injured. The freshman beat out sophomore Evan Thornton in a practice round to earn the right as the team’s five man.

“I think we had good meetings, good conversations and these kids are starting to realize where they should be,” Matthews said of the team’s performance.

Quinn had higher expectations for the Georgetown Intercollegiate after the team’s 13th place finish at te AutoTrader.com Golf Classic Oct. 13.

“I’m disappointed with how we played this week,” Quinn said. “It starts with me but I’m disappointed with how the kids played this week. These kids are just making some kind of foolish mistakes out there.”
Greg Frank can be reached at Greg.Frank@Temple.edu or on Twitter @g_frank6