MTV deems Philly ‘world’-ly

The homeless urinate on Walnut Street sidewalks. Morning traffic on Broad Street is like an experiment in torture. Soft pretzel salesmen on freeway off-ramps have no facilities to wash their hands and probably don’t care.

Philadelphia couldn’t get more real. Or could it? Apparently there’s room for even more reality.

An influx of rumors hint that MTV’s long-running voyeur-TV hit, The Real World, is moving in.

Press representatives for Real World producers Bunim/Murray didn’t return phone calls. But both The Philadelphia Inquirer and the Philadelphia Daily News have peppered pages with factoids about the seven strangers, their digs, their job, their booze haunts and hot tub philandering.

The Daily News said the seven roommates have already been cast and are poised to start filming in April.

Wealthy restaurateur Stephen Starr is supposedly green-lighting the gang to work at one of his establishments on 3rd and Arch streets in Olde City.

MTV is tight-lipped about any details, since they are notoriously silent on Real World specifics in fear of poisoning production with fans and overzealous actors interfering with filming.

Keep your eyes and ears open for camera crews in the city this spring.

Matt Donnelly can be reached at mattdonn@temple.edu