Nov. 2 shooting near Main Campus results in death

Updated on Friday, Nov. 5 at 7:27 p.m. A 25-year-old man who was found shot in the chest multiple times on the edge of Main Campus on Tuesday, Nov. 2, was pronounced dead Wednesday, Nov

Updated on Friday, Nov. 5 at 7:27 p.m.

A 25-year-old man who was found shot in the chest multiple times on the edge of Main Campus on Tuesday, Nov. 2, was pronounced dead Wednesday, Nov 3.

Now identified as Tony Hale, the East Westmoreland Street resident was found by Temple Police in a Buick LeSabre on the 2000 block of North 11th Street at around 9 p.m, as the Philadelphia Inquirer reported.

Hale, who was not a Temple student, was reported to be in extremely critical condition after being rushed to Temple University Hospital.

The incident follows a series of recent shootings near campus.

On Oct. 31, School of Communications and Theater student Ian Hirst-Hermans, 20, was shot at around 2 a.m. outside of a party on North 17th Street.

Almost two weeks earlier, on Oct. 15, a 33-year-old man was shot and killed on the 1900 block of North Warnock Street.

A shooting, which involved juveniles, also occurred on Sept. 24 near Broad and Jefferson Streets.

While the Oct. 15 and Oct. 31 shootings were followed by TU Advisory notices to inform the Main Campus community of the crimes, no notice was released for the incidents that occurred on Sept. 24 or on Tuesday.

Ray Betzner, assistant vice president of university communications, said in an e-mail that the shooting on Tuesday did not justify use of the TU Alert or TU Advisory systems.

“Based on police information, the situation on [Tuesday] night did not justify a TU Alert: No students were endangered and no immediate action was needed,” Betzner said.

“We also judged that, unlike the two previous situations in the last three weeks, there was no need for a TU Advisory: No students were involved in any way and students were not near the vicinity,” Betzner said.

No suspect or motives have been named in the Tuesday night shooting.

Angelo Fichera can be reached at afichera@temple.edu.