Outstanding Owl

The words intense, stressful and fun sum up Brian Mason’s life. Between ROTC, spending time in the training room, and classes, Mason has successfully managed to juggle all of his activities while taking time out

The words intense, stressful and fun sum up Brian Mason’s life. Between ROTC, spending time in the training room, and classes, Mason has successfully managed to juggle all of his activities while taking time out to just have fun.

A high school scholastic aptitude test suggested Mason as being most inclined to succeed in military and religion. After some consideration, Mason decided to inquire for more information on military programs. Once informed, the army became Mason’s love.

Nominate an Owl!
If you know someone who is an ‘Outstanding Owl,’ let us know! Send your suggestions to Kristin Boyd at kboyd@temple.edu

Mason was recruited by the Temple ROTC program and soon came to Temple under a four-year full-paid scholarship.

In addition to the number of hours ROTC demands, Mason is required to complete 120 hours of athletic training each semester. As the only ROTC member with an Athletic Training major, Mason is dividing his training hours between McGonigle Hall, working with the women’s basketball team and the football team.

At 19, Mason has already won every possible ROTC award, has been nominated for the Wachman Memorial award, is committed to doing community service, has worked as an Owl leader, and has maintained his grades.

Former Outstanding Owl, Roger Barascout said, “[Brian] shows Temple spirit everyday and gives himself to his studies and to all the people he knows.”

After graduation, Mason will enlist for active duty for four years. He plans to make a career out of the army. Following retirement, he would like to work as a high school or college athletic trainer.

“The best way that I have to describe him would be an extraordinary ordinary person,” said Barascout.