Owls tie on the road

Both defenses pitch a shutout leading to a double overtime tie.

The Temple Owls and Lafayette Leopards ended their double overtime game in a scoreless tie on Sunday afternoon in Easton, Pa.

“We’re pleased as coaches,” coach Seamus O’Connor said. “Lafayette was fantastic. They really showed up today. We were walking into some trouble today. Lafayette is a good program, so I’m very pleased with a tie.”

Both teams registered 10 shots with Temple (5-2-1) shooting nine on goal versus Lafayette’s (3-2-1) six on goal shots. Most of the Owls’ opportunities for shots came from their game-high nine corner kicks. Sophomore defender Erin Lafferty led the Owls with four shots.

“I think again it was just putting it into the back of the net,” Lafferty said. “We create the chances up there. We’re doing a lot better to get opportunities. We just have to put it away.”

Lafayette’s freshman goalkeeper Lauren Sedillo recorded a game-high five saves and Temple’s sophomore goalkeeper Shauni Kerkhoff registered three saves.

For the third time in its last four games, Temple was unable to register a goal. The Owls defense did not allow a goal for the sixth time this season.

“It wasn’t one of our best games, started off slow, but it all came down to our mentality,” sophomore defender Taylor Trusky said. “We weren’t really in it in the beginning, but I we knew we had to get it done defensively. I think we played well as a team. We just need to keep working on shooting the ball.”

Brien Edwards can be reached at brien.erick.edwards@temple.edu or on twitter @BErick1123.