People you should KNOW

The Temple News: What’s the life story of Colin Emilius? Colin Emilius: I decided to go to Temple because when my older brother was a freshman [here], he was the president of White Hall. I

Colin Emilius 001
QUENTIN WILLIAMS TTN COLIN EMILIUS, winner of the 2009 Mr. Greek competition, is currently serving his term as Temple’s male Greek ambassador and president of his fraternity, Alpha Kappa Lambda. He is also involved in various community service projects and participates as treasurer of the Order of Omega, the honors and leadership society for Temple Greek Life.

The Temple News: What’s the life story of Colin Emilius?
Colin Emilius: I decided to go to Temple because when my older brother was a freshman [here], he was the president of White Hall. I also wanted to go to a school that was in the city and that was focused on diversity.
Also, my major was business undeclared going in, and I knew that if I wanted to get a proper education, then I needed to be in the city in a school that was doing things all the time. I’ve always felt that when you’re in the city, you get knowledge a lot quicker.

TTN: What do you like most about Temple?
CE: At my start at Temple, I always appreciate getting involved. I commuted my first semester freshman year. Then, right off the bat, I joined Alpha Kappa Lambda Fraternity and that was kind of my foot into Temple and AKL … AKL was founded by Duscha Holmes, and my older brother was also a founding father.

TTN: How is that you were voted to be president of your fraternity?
CE: What’s funny is that in high school, the first time that I met Duscha, I told him, “Hey, I heard that you’re in a fraternity, and I’m going to be president of that fraternity one day.” And one thing that we stress is being a man of our word.
And being the president and CEO of my fraternity is a dream come true. It’s funny to see how Greek life on campus has expanded since my freshman year. We have over 10 [Inter-Fraternal Counsel] fraternities, and I think that when I came here there were only six IFCs. There have been two new IFC fraternities this semester alone, so I think that it’s a great thing to be a part of.

TTN: What are some of your goals as president of your fraternity?
CE: One of my goals for this year is for AKL to be Greek Chapter of the year. Overall, it has been a good year for me. I was awarded our Clearance Frame National Leadership Award, which is given out to one brother out of all of the chapters of this national organization.
Other than AKL, I was a member of Gamma Iota Sigma [student professional organization] for actuarial science in Fox School of business. I’m no longer a member since I changed my major. Last year, I was vice president of Temple’s Greek Association and I did various events like the Greek Showcase, Greek Week … I hosted a carnival for kids at the Duckery School District, over on Diamond Street, back in May. It was great. We had carnival games, a popcorn machine, different things to get the kids and people in the community together and have a great time.

TTN: It sounds like you are quite involved. What are two things that motivate you each day?
CE: I would have to say that I am a very passionate person. It starts with my family. I am a very family-oriented person, and it’s been instilled in me by my parents. Neither of my parents had the opportunity to go to college, and that is one of the things that pushes me to strive for an education. And I think that you should strive to be passionate about something.

Quentin Williams can be reached at quentin@temple.edu.