People you should KNOW

Senior sociology and African-American studies major Candace Moses spends her free time thinking up excuses to talk to people.

People You Should Know 006
TTN QUENTIN WILLIAMS

The Temple News: Tell us a little about Candace Moses and what defines you as a Temple student.

Candace Moses: I bleed the Cherry and White. Something I think really defines me [as] a Temple student is I am open to so many different ideas, and I have been willing to be open to it. Working in the Office of Orientation, I’ve learned numerous amounts of backgrounds and cultures and learning about who each of these students are, and talking to concerned parents about how we can make their student from China, for example, feel more comfortable here at Temple. Also, my work with Main Campus Program Board has taught me how to extend Temple’s welcome to the entire student population.

TTN: Can you tell The Temple News more about your experience with MCPB?

CM: MCPB has been my heart since freshman year. I joined MCPB through the [homecoming committee in] 2006. From there, I went onto chair Welcome Week, Homecoming and Spring Fling my sophomore year. By junior [year], I became vice president of [MCPB]. It has been an amazing experience for me, especially since it has really expanded my leadership skills, my verbal skills, my ability to connect with other people, my ability to feel energized and connected to Temple.

TTN: Has your perspective changed since you’ve gone from the woman who’s running Homecoming to one of the candidates in the running for the crown?

CM: It is so different. As the chair, everything is in your hands. It’s more so about getting the entire university connected through events that you’re about to put on. And it’s a great opportunity for freshmen to really get connected to the campus through the event. For the most part, you are in control. Now as a Homecoming Court member, it’s not in your power anymore.

TTN: You’re a member of Temple’s Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, right?

CM: I’m the current president of the Delta Mu Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. But one thing that I learned last year is not to get position-happy. I can’t overdo it.

TTN: What do you want to be when you grow up?

CM: I want to be a superhero with a pink cape that gives people the courage to be who they want to be.

Quentin Williams can be reached at quentin@temple.edu.