People you should KNOW

If Temple didn’t already have Hooter the Owl as its mascot, Temple Police Officer Michael McShane would be it. On patrol, McShane can be spotted steering around Main Campus throughout the day and, at times,

If Temple didn’t already have Hooter the Owl as its mascot, Temple Police Officer Michael McShane would be it. On patrol, McShane can be spotted steering around Main Campus throughout the day and, at times, the night, as he generously spreads his affable personality.

The Temple News: How long have you been working for Temple?

Michael McShane: I’ve been working with Temple since 1970, almost 40 years.

TTN: So, you must like it here.

MM: Well, they like me here, I guess.

TTN: How do you like the kids here?

MM: Well, they’re all right. They’re changing a lot, you know. They’re students, that’s what they are, not kids. Goats and llamas have kids, you know. What we have are definitely humans. We have students. But most of them are pretty good.

TTN: What changes have you seen since you have been on the force?

MM: I’ve just seen the expansion, the kids coming in and graduating, the computers and other stuff. There’s been nothing regular as far as crime and stuff. It’s kind of quiet. There are just a few small things that I have to deal with sometimes. There’s usually a few [small things] that you have to look out for, you know, but it’s not just here at Temple, it’s on [every campus]. It comes with the territory.

TTN:  How do you like your new electric car?

MM: I use it. It gets me around, and I enjoy it. I just wish I could use it better.

 Quentin Williams can be reached at quentin@temple.edu.